Saturday, May 28, 2011

Switching the electric

'Andrew, I am not sure what I have done is right, but he was so sweet and charming and really had the gift of the gab'.

'Wouldn't happen to be Irish would he Mother?'

'Yes, he was I guess, or English, or Scottish. I am not sure'.

Mother, charmed by the blarney or crack, had switched over her electric company on the advice of a door to door salesman.

'17 cents a kilowatt hour as against the 20 cents I am now paying'

'And a two year contract Mother?'

'I think so. But there is a ten day cooling off period and I am thinking I might cancel it'.

'I shall investigate Mother and call you back'.

Ring ring.

'Mother, when you add the gst to the tariff, it is over 19 cents. The service charge is just slightly higher and you won't be able to pay half on the due date, ring up and tell them you will pay the rest in a fortnight's time. You will have to pay the full amount by the due date to receive the so called discount'.

'I will cancel it Andrew. I am too upset and shaky to do it today. I will do it Monday'.

'Good idea Mother. Bye'.

The last time I looked at one of the sites that indicates which is the cheapest electric company for you, I worked out we could save $80 a year by changing. Given there are often hassles when changing electric companies and the saving per quarterly bill each would be $10, I didn't think it was worth the bother, but I should have another look to see if anything has changed.

13 comments:

  1. I changed to get gas/power from the one company and it was going to save me $200 per year. Changeover went very smoothly thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing's changed,they're all liars and I tell every seller that fact.

    Slightly off topic, I'm used to the change over calls on the landline but now I'm gettin calls on the mobile. This is the emergency phone for mother trouble so the bloke will have not much hearing for a few weeks after I finished with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KN, it is worth doing for that saving. There used to be horror stories from people who changed companies, but I haven't heard one for a while.

    Jah Teh, donotcall.gov.au I think is the site to stop cold calls. The exemptions are annoying though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before someone chips me for my arithmetic, that would be a $10 saving each, not per bill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad how a good deal always has hidden catches - I've got used to it, but older, more trusting people (like my parents) are susceptible to the sweet talk!

    Wonder what that says about them - and me??

    ReplyDelete
  6. What it says Red is that that those of our age, I speak in wide sense to include you as a younger person, are quite cynical. We need to be to survive, but we may not like our own cynicism and wish we could be more trusting of the world like our parents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my 88-y-o parent paid cash for a vacuum costing $2095 which he then did NOT use, not even ONCE in EIGHT years.
    and then he bought the water purifier $25 never used because it doesn't fit the tap shape ... many many elderly people who live alone are conned at the door by bullies on commission.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh dear. I am old and batty too. that water purifier was $125.00, and he did use his second vacuum cleaner during the eight fallow years of the rolls-royce-priced one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How could a vacuum cleaner cost that much? That's your inheritance being wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'inheritance being wasted'?
    if only you knew the whole horror story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can wait (very cynical here) for us to get as bad as the UK. The scams for pensioners over there were humungus. There was a local council dept working with the police set up just to deal with it. I had a summer job there, eye opening stuff indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tell us about it one day Emstacks.

    Fen, did they have the ten day cooling off period in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure if they did. The main scams though were people turning up saying they were from the electric or gas and duping oldies into paying for "repairs" that they never did. Or gaining access to their house and stealing stuff. Horrid.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.