Sunday, May 29, 2011

Slut Walk

I have very mixed thoughts about Slut Walk and what its endeavours are. I would use the word slut in a joking way among close friends, female or gay male. But my head thinks it is not a word to use casually with people you don't know well. I don't feel comfortable with an attempt to claim the word.

Women should be able to wear ever they want where they want. If they want to appear on the street or out dressed as a 'slut', then good for them.

A slut's manner of dressing does not mean she is available to be raped. She has dressed to excite men, and perhaps women, as women have done for a long time. As in nature among critters, often the female creature works to excite the male, and then the female creature picks and chooses. Hmm, actually it is often the reverse really. I won't let that get in my way though.

Is it not so different for humans? I really don't get rape. To me it is an assault and no human should physically assault another. It is said that it is an exercise of power. That complicates something fairly simple.

I hear all the soothing words from magistrates, you have committed a heinous crime and degraded the victim and caused her a life time of suffering and you are sentenced to a three month good behaviour bond.

No, you physically assault someone, be it rape or any other sort of personal assault, you will be locked up for a very long time. No tolerance, no mitigating circumstances. You just do not physically attack anyone.

But as tolerant as I am, if I had a daughter and she was going out dressed as a slut, I would tell her to get changed.

7 comments:

  1. Andrew,

    I am so with you on this. I wear lovely things, but always try to incorporate a decent amount of decorum.

    Now some boys get silly when they see gorgeous seamed stockings and the like, and think it is an excuse to work their mean passions regardless of consent.

    I adore gorgeous lingerie and have been wearing vintage since I was 13but that eclecticism does not necessarily mean I am an indiscriminate site for unwanted physical contact.

    I would never call anyone the s-word. Besides your friendly usage amongst your friends, I consider it an abusive word in all its senses - whether imposed or self-inflicted it causes or comes from harm.

    Dressing is a form of self-expression, not an invitation for violation.

    I hope the walk makes people a little more tolerant, not just to women, but to everyone who wants to express themselves outside the bounds of prudent conservative perceptions.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The S-word is one that I can honestly say that I've never used in jest or insult and I hope to keep it that way.

    Whilst I see that SlutWalk is 'owning' the negative term like 'nigger' and 'wog' I don't know that it'll do anything to reduce rape and assault against women. There are more reported cases of rape that involve a perpetrator who is known to the victim compared to those who are merely 'turned on' by the provocatively (the term is used loosely) dressed stranger in the street.

    And yes, as a parent of a rapidly-developing twelve year old, as much as I'd like to say that I believe that women should dress as they please I have no doubt that there'll be a few outfits that I won't let her leave the house in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, she'd hide the outfit in her bag and change back into it at a friend's house. And I don't necessarily believe she'd be safe if she went out dressed in neck to knee sackcloth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it is said serious P&C, it is perhaps the worst word. I like women who dress to flatter themselves and show what they have.

    Yeah Kath, I don't think ownership of the word will work in this case. I can't ever recall of someone being raped because they dressed provocatively. Re daughter, it would be fine once they reach an appropriate age, maybe 17 plus.

    Ozfemme, no surprise that you came up with that. It worked for you? Seriously, even if that happened, you have still maintained a standard in the child's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The world changes and today's slut dress is tomorrow's fashion. Remember 'Heroin Chic' as the fashion rage? I do, because it seemed to me to be the beginning of the anorexic model.

    Hmmm, DrewAn, what would you be wearing as a slutboy? Tell, we'll just forget your advanced age so you can romance it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly a woman should be able to walk around drunk and naked and not be attacked or raped. You should also be able to leave you goods and chattels in your drivway,open garage or car and not have them stolen.
    BUT while the world is as it is, I will be encouraging my daughters to have a little modesty.NOT because "they are asking for it" but because others can't be trusted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Jah Teh, did you ever do the heroin chic look? I suppose I did do slut. Strategically ripped tight jeans. Slashed tee. Boxers out in public while wearing a c ring.Hehe, funny remembering. I did look hot in tight leather pants, a white tee and an open leather waist coat. I can't believe how twinks used to come onto me.

    IWBG, modesty is a very vague concept though. What is one's person's modesty is another's too much exposure. In my work place I get to know a bit about young people and I will qualify that to say that I am blue collar worker but I deal with very middle class people, generally the blokes just don't hassle girls for whatever they wear, and believe me, some girls really do go the extreme. In fact the blokes seem to barely notice.

    ReplyDelete