Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Phones

First mobile phone, 1996 I think. Four more phones, always Ericsson, which became Sony Ericsson. That is until the last phone I bought second hand on Ebay. The day after I received the phone, the seller was struck off Ebay. Close call.

But I was very happy with my Samsung Ultra Touch. I could either use the slide out keyboard or use the touch screen. There is nary a scratch on the screen, so it must have a tough screen.

But I, or should I say we, have been mulling over these new phones, like the iPhone 4 or the Samsung Galaxy S. R's phone is even older than mine, bought in Singapore when we were travelling to England. His charger has a 'skippy plug' on it, so that it fits our electric sockets. While my phone is still quite respectable and still being sold, R's was very old fashioned. R just loves Samsung's nag feature for when a text message arrives. Every minute or so, it nags you to read the message. Mine, the Ultra Touch, has the same feature. It can be switched off.

So which did we get? Ha, you think I will let you off so easily.

It was using iTunes that really put me off Apple products. I did not like the 'trapped' feeling I had. I ditched iTunes eventually and I think at James suggestion I just added podcast updates to my Google Reader. It works. It works for lots of web sites as well as alerting to new blog mates new posts. Screw iTunes. I can steal off the internet if I need music.

But all the kiddies are using iPhones. All the modern and hip people seem to be using iPhones. iPhones have the most apps. My head was telling me iPhone.

R and I discussed it endlessly. Me pointing out the advantages and disadvantages and thoroughly confusing him and myself in the process.

Saturday dawned and once we were rid of the Bone Doctor who had stayed overnight, we journeyed into the city. 'Bone Doctor', I said, 'we are going into town to do some consumerising. Our phones are old and we need new ones. You haven't made your bed properly or pushed your chair in? No matter, you can leave as we go because we need to move a car to let you out. Ta ta. Say hi to Sister and Little Jo.' It is all a joke. We had no intention of buying new phones. Just looking.

We went to large Telstra shop on the corner of Bourke and Swanston streets. They even had some phones plugged in so that they were operative. Last time we were there, for some reason a guard blocked us from going upstairs. It was 'closed'. This time the guard suggested we did not go upstairs. 'All the phones are down here. No need to go up there. It is not staffed.' R was very annoyed at not being allowed upstairs. He always goes for the conspiracy theory while I always go for the incompetent.

We had a play with both models of phones. They seemed rather the same. The cost seemed rather high. We are both out of plans and given that we stick within our respective $20 call/sms/mms/data limit each month, it was appearing that it would cost us between $50 and $60 a month per phone. Bah. I am not sure how I will get a cheap phone, but I am not paying that, not when we have to maintain a landline so Mother can call us to call her back, as she is not a local call. We don't pay for local or STD calls from our home phone. Telstra has tied us up very nicely.

I had a vague memory of another couple of phone shops run by Asians. First one to mind must have gone, along with the cinema in Bourke Street. The nearby arcade has one but it is Optus. What about the Asian one at the corner of Lonsdale and Swanston? It is a Telstra place. The attractive young man realised he had some serious customers who knew more than he did, so he handed us over to his boss. His boss was fantastic. While we were only looking, he offered us a deal that was too good to refuse. We stay on our own $20 plans and pay an extra $20 per month to pay the phone off. I was prepared to buy a phone outright, but over two years, this was cheaper.

While R signed up, I went outside to think if this was all right for me. I decided yes and went back in and interrupted R's signing up with that I will have one too. I will add the extra $10 charge for 1.5gb of data. I have no idea why, but for some reason, R's phone has slipped into my name, so I don't have to do any paperwork. However, R snaffled the last phone in the shop and I can't pick mine up until three days later. I don't care really. So R has his new phone. He is not happy that it doesn't seem to have the text nag feature, but he asked me if there might be an app for that. Possibly but it will take me some time to work out this new beast. Do you ever really work them out and know all that they can do? Otherwise, he is quite happy with his new phone.

Down the track I might give an opinion of the phone once I get it, but as you may have observed, I rarely have an opinion on much in life.

Ah, which phone? Be patient.

I knew a new model had just been released and the phone shop was selling us older phones. Seems the new one is cut down version of the old. There were a couple of features on the older one that the new one did not have. The new one was smaller, but did not look as good. Because I could not get mine straight away I am guessing, he gave us cases for them. I don't like cases but R is happy with his case. His case and my lack of case will stop us picking up each other's phones and walking out the door with them.

Reminds me of my Sydney plastic friend. He once asked me how he can remember to always pick up his mobile phone and not lose it? I told him, just imagine your boyfriend going through your texts on your phone. Reminds me further of the day when I picked up R's wallet instead of my own and went to work when a tradesperson was coming and needed to be paid.

Oh, you have read all that you are still unsure of which phones we bought? The android Samsung Galaxy S.

7 comments:

  1. If R wants the nagging option, I use the Handcent app for sms's and it has the option to set a nagger! If you want any other android app advice I know a tiny bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R was very pleased to hear that Fen. You may be sorry you offered assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'All the modern and hip people seem to be using iPhones.'

    Oh dear, now I'm modern and hip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure you were once Victor. Or maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the Android family Andrew, it's a fantastic phone. If you want some tips on great apps drop me a line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun. We only just got phones that have a camera in them. We don't use them enough to change from our 'el cheapo' minimum plan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tony. As my old phone was not so old, it is not too puzzling for me.

    Scott, Scott, Scott. It is not about using them. It is about displaying them. Of course I won't be downloading the Grindr app for androids.

    ReplyDelete