Saturday, May 14, 2011

Phone Diary Day 4

Yesterday I installed the Tram Hunter application to my new phone. It just happened to be a vile day for Yarra Trams service, as I was able to observe. Tram Hunter is very like Tram Tracker for iPhone, a live tram arrival time app. Thank you Mr Andy Botting, well done.

For some reason during my first attempt at downloading my first app, it stalled. After some time staring at the puzzling icon, which I now know is the download icon, I tried again and so I had two downloads going. The second worked fine but the first was still stuck. I found I can drag the top of the screen down and hold it and then cancel the download.

As R predicted, he keeps missing texts because of the lack of a repeat nag. I have to send him a text and if I don't receive a reply quickly, I then ring his phone to draw his attention. I have bookmarked Handcent app for him to have a good look at. It looks pretty good to me.

I shall continue on customising my phone and then probably have to do a reset and lose it all. It's a life.

12 comments:

  1. What do us country bumpkins do when we need to use trams etc - do they still sell tickets on the tram? In Sydney they bought in a prebuy arrangement at certain shops etc but if you are from out of town it is impossible to know where to go unless you ask somebody -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Download Titanium Backup - backs up everything about your phone. Use in conjunction with DropBox or an SD card and you can restore to your preferred setup after a reset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I downloaded the Oz Weather App yesterday which provides more precise and interesting information about the weather in Australian locations than does the weather App that comes already provided on iPhones. It also provides a radar mapo for where you are located.

    I checked the App every few minutes and must have have covered every tenth of a degree change in temperature that occurred in Sydney yesterday.

    Oh well...the novelty will wear off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With solar flares predicted as the new Y2K bug in 2012 I'm investing heavily in carrier pigeons and 2 cans on a piece of string...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's interesting Jane. I've been wondering what the next calamity we are all to be in fear of is going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. if I had to catch trams I would get that one too. I need a traffic tracker, one that's really really accurate. Hah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MC, best way is to buy before you get on the tram, but you can still buy tickets from a machine on the tram with coins.

    Victor, so you know if it is going to be 15 degrees or 16 degrees. Or the rain will be heavy or reasonably heavy. Hmmm. Perhaps an app for water storage levels might be interesting.

    Fen, radio is certainly not accurate, even now there are professionals who work for an org who gets paid. You would have heard of Sumo, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops, missed Tony. I think that is a very good idea. I will do it soon. While it is your employment, you do seem to know an awful lot about computers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jayne, did you ever actually try the stringed cans? We did, but I can't recall if they worked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Victor, nothing will happen in Europe while you are there. I am sure of that. Positive...certain. Don't panic Captain Mainwarring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do these apps cost money or are they free?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The mentioned one is free. Like with programmes for a computer, there is a lot of free apps.

    ReplyDelete