Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Firefoxed

Firefox is my preferred and default web browser and it has just updated itself and I don't like what it has done. Apparently it is faster and sleeker. That may well be, but I was very used to the layout of the old Firefox and I am somewhat annoyed. I suppose I will get used to most of the changes, but still.

My group of buttons, including Home and Refresh, have been moved. Refresh is a circular arrow at the right of the address bar and home is on the far right. I used to have them both on the left.

I am not sure what it is called, but the activity bar at the bottom only shows when a webpage url is being hovered over and clicked. I like it right across the bottom.

I am not a tabber. I don't use tabs. I have tried, but I just don't like them and I can see no benefit to me. I right click on a link and open in a new window, but in the right click menu, the order of open in a new tab and open in a new window has been transposed. All day I had been opening new tabs and forgetting and wondering why new windows weren't opening. And then I would click on the x to close the window I was reading and closed all of the tabs I had open.

Maybe you can tinker with it and return it to something similar to what you were used to, but the method is not immediately obvious to me.

18 comments:

  1. You can change it back to the old layout through options and view/toolbars, which I think is under the firefox button on the top left.

    I was likewise annoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Me, but mine seems to be different. The only options I have is under tools and there doesn't appear anything there to change the layout. I even looked on the net and it says much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, oh why can't you select whether or not to upgrade?? I'm such a technophobe by the time I've got used to one version, it's time for the next ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep telling it to remind me later, might keep ignoring the update thingie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roll it back to the older version if you don't like it. I grumped for a couple of days, then I got used to it and now it's like it was always this way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was a Firefoxer. I'm now a Chrome domer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did that Jayne, but at some point it must have decided enough is enough, I will update him regardless.

    I too will get used to it Fen. But why did they have make such dramatic changes?

    Chrome will be the Beta of browsers LS. Let me guess. You did buy a Beta vcr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's incredibly annoying. Right when I was about to read your post, I got the message from Firefox. I ignored it. So I guess I should look forward to it ignoring my wishes and updating me anyway.

    My family had problems with the Ofoto website. They claimed to make all these improvements, but we couldn't tell on our end. It just seemed more complicated and difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dina, I have never heard of Ofoto. A search tells me it is an English based photo storage site, like Flikr etc. Happy Firefox 4 browsing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you considered (as a last resort) to uninstall it and then re-install the older version from www.filehippo.com?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks MC. I will see how I go with the new version for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was a wrench (a few weeks ago now), but I don't mind it. Prefer FF still to IE any day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. TS, seems to be a case of we know what is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just stumbled across how to turn this off. Right click in the area where the tabs are. You will see an option "Tabs on Top". Turn this off. You migh also want to turn "menu" on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Panther. That is what I wanted to hear. I will do it tomorrow. So how is retirement?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chrome is faster and I have just moved on from Firefox for the same reasons you mentioned - my kids use Chrome and I am happy with it

    ReplyDelete
  17. MC, maybe I should give Chrome a go.

    ReplyDelete