Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I see deco #1

I've always been fond of Art Deco architecture, furniture and fittings. If you are familiar with High Street Glen Iris, not too far after the railway station outbound there is a park on the right as the road curves and then at number 2, the first block, is a two storey brick house. About 1990 it was for sale and R and I looked at it with a view to buy. It was pretty well in original condition and so, somewhat run down. But being in original condition meant that it had retained its Art Deco features, including a marvellous sweeping staircase. The cost of the house plus renovations was a bit too much for us.

So, simmering away in the background has always been my liking of art deco. Partly but not just because of this marvellous blog, http://artdecobuildings.blogspot.com/, my knowledge ofand appetite for art deco has increased. In Melbourne's older areas, now that my eye is a little trained, there is so much art deco, or perhaps I should say homage to art deco on buildings.

Still on buildings and architecture, I grew up with cream brick houses of the 1940s and 1950s. Some were solid brick. Some brick veneer. I am rather fond of them too.

I am getting to a point. Be patient.

David of the earlier mentioned blog posted a picture of a brick veneer house in Essendon that had some art deco trim. He said it was one of the best cream brick streets in Melbourne. I commented that I might take a walk along the street and have a look. Some time later, I did. Wow, I was gobsmacked. There were fantastic brick houses, many with art deco features.

But first I had to get there and as you probably know, I have an aversion to simply driving somewhere when I can make it a public transport experience. I looked at the map and chose my modes. I caught the bus to town and then the 59 tram in Elizabeth Street. It was quite a pleasant trip. That is when I took the photo of the older lady on the tram while she was texting.

I alighted from the tram at the corner of Fletcher and Nicholson Streets and immediately an art deco building smacked me in the face. This look promising.


I wandered along Nicholson Street. These are not art deco. Where are the art deco buildings and cream brick houses? Still, these are very nice. I am not in the street of focus yet.




This one is on a steep hill, hence the lean. :-P


Ah, so this is Penleigh Grammar. PM Julia's Building the Education Revolution doing I presume.

And this at Essendon Primary School's BER effort.


The grounds of the Essendon Cricket Club. Surely it is not Windy Hill?


A ring in. I don't mind it.


I iz hungry. Time for a fine blueberry muffin and good coffee at what I think is called MJ. I can recommend.


More coming when I show you some photos of houses in Peterleigh Grove, Essendon.

6 comments:

  1. I love the house with the lean, a few gins and it would even up for me.
    I do loves me a balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lived in a house with a lean Jah Teh. We were always worried it would get worse. A g&t on the balcony would be delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it really Juliar's place?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Naughty MC. Must treat our PM with respect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew, I believe that first deco house was designed by Harry Winbush and he also lived there. A great looking house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fine example David. Sorry for the delay.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.