Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cod

Smoked cod certainly was not a food I grew up knowing about. I am not sure if it was on the list of foods I eat now that I never had as a kid. R introduced me to smoked cod when we first met. We had a very warped electric frypan that was useless for frying in, but it was good for cooking smoked cod.

But for some reason the smoked cod stopped. Maybe because we threw out the warped electric frypan.

About six months ago R decided we should eat smoked cod again and bought some. We had some just tonight. I must say, his cooking technique has improved. It is even nicer than I remember. He cooks it briefly in hot water and then poaches it in milk and hot water. But there is another difference too. Years ago our cod used to come from the North Sea. Now it comes from South Africa. I assumed cod needed icy sea water to thrive, but apparently it does ok in South Africa, no doubt very south South Africa. If cod thrives there, why not in Australia?

9 comments:

  1. Overfishing did in the cod industry in the North Sea and South Africa has very icy sea water to the south where the Antarctic currents sweep around the Cape.

    Smoked cod was always the Easter dish for Australians so you must have had it at some time. Probably like me, you preferred to forget the taste and the ghastly white sauce that came with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had cod. I'll get my sister to send some over from S.A for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:04 pm

    Ugh! Like Jahteh says, we had it every Good Friday when we were growing up and my old man cooked it , no boiled it till the water ran pink and the skin fell off. I do not eat it to this day nor do I feed it to my kids lol

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Informative as always Jah Teh. Truly, I never had it as a kid. Our only fish was battered and deep fried from the fish and chip shop or fish fingers. I really like smoked cod.

    You are missing out Fen. And I don't want a job lot from SA thanks.

    Michelle, clearly it is a bad childhood memory for many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you ever pass a cod, smoking or non-smoking, under my nose I shall cease to speak to you, dear Andrew.
    Had the damn thing for Easter, every other Friday and the damn cats would never help get rid of the revolting stuff when it 'accidentally' fell straight out of the freezer...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lordy, how those were forced to eat cod on good friday hate it. Something I never knew about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect the cod of childhood memories was very badly cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this is a very late reply but I just stumbled across this while looking for other ways of cooking smoked cod. I've always liked it. My dad cooked it beautifully when we were kids. Had some tonight and enjoyed it very much. Cooked it much the way you said R did. I didn't even bother with the parsley sauce. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers Annie. We just had some on good Friday.

    ReplyDelete