Thursday, March 03, 2011

Lol

I used to think lol meant lots of laughs. Now I know it means laughing out loud. It is not a great expression, because how many times do you type lol when you are not loling. I confess to on the odd occasion typing lol when I did not really lol. Sometimes it can be added as a soother to what could come across as a sarcastic remark.

But I did genuinely lol at the prank Kath's, from Blurb from the Burbs, father got up to in a school staff room. I thought it was so funny I wrote it on our notice board for R to see and appreciate and to lol at. He did lol actually, although he had seen it before. I was well miffed that he already knew of it. I thought I was showing him something original. I did take a photo of the notice board but my writing was so bad, I am too ashamed to publish it. This is similar to what Kath's father wrote:

One should always plan ahea
d.
Assuming you have written cross ways as far as you can go.

Word and language play often amuses me.

Take for example the latest person murdered by a gunshot from a person unknown in Melbourne. A morning radio broadcaster described him as, and he was quoting from a newspaper, as a 'colourful identity'. They are a pair of very loaded words that tell you all you need to know.

What was missed from the euphemism was that he was from Sydney and involved in horse racing.

So surely he should be a 'colourful Sydney racing identity', which puts him up there with the absolute elite.

I have just read this which caused me to lol. It is from this post at Smitten by Britain.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Now that is clever and funny.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out, Andrew.

    I did hear that the delicious Chris from Bondi Vet thought that LOL meant 'lots of love' and he found out the hard way that sending an email to a respected client about the death of his old dog and signing it 'LOL' wasn't the best approach.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL has almost become spam!! Sometimes you see it in comments and wonder why as the post wasn't actually that funny!

    But then, who am I to judge another's sense of humour just because I've got a good one??!! (I probably use exclamation marks like others use LOL and spam ...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kath, I just recalled, I think I thought it was that at some point too.

    Red, we all feel the need to embellish at times. That is why these things are so useful. Agree though, lol is a bit overused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to like rofl- rolling on the floor laughing. But that seems to have become passé!

    ReplyDelete
  5. KN, perhaps updated now by adding PM at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete