Monday, February 14, 2011

St Vee's Day

R and I don't bother too much about St Valentine's Day. We exchange cards and usually R tapes a few chocolates to my card. I don't even do that, just a card.

His card was rather nice this year with a written line something like 'it is nice how moments have turned into memories', and they have indeed.

But it is not the romantic or hot times that we so often talk about. Our latest memory conversation was about about the outdoor clothes lines in the four houses we have lived in. Neither of us have clear mental images of them all. Neither of us can agree on what clothes lines we had where. How such a meaningless conversation began, I can't recall.

Such is 32 years of history together. To have someone to have such a conversation with makes me a very privileged person. Not everyone does and if you don't, don't be too envious. Such a history comes at a price of keeping your trap shut at times, negotiation, eating humble pie, having to change your mind, but it is a price I am prepared to pay. All you really need to do is be there for each other.

7 comments:

  1. All you really need to do is be there for each other
    Perfectly simple but so easily overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. life is a series of concessions and compromises, and the reward is, that when we are old, we can sit on the verandah drinking and reminiscing with someone who did all the same stuff. Simple pleasures are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said, Andrew. Thirty two years of history is incredibly impressive and I hope you have at least 32 more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Such a history comes at a price of keeping your trap shut at times, negotiation, eating humble pie, having to change your mind, but it is a price I am prepared to pay. All you really need to do is be there for each other."

    Such simple truth :) Well said

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your final paragraph fits friend relationships as well as partner relationships. I'm exactly in that situation with three friends of 40 years standing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And Jayne, I said it with such confidence.

    Summed up well Ann.

    Kath, I can only speak for myself but I just know I won't be here for another 32.

    Too sweet hey Fen. The stories I could tell you when it is not and I am not just talking about years ago.

    Thanks Beet. I hope I believe it.

    It does indeed work for friends too Victor, up to a point. What you might tolerate from a partner, you would not by a friend.

    ReplyDelete