Monday, February 14, 2011

Kiwi Gooseberry

What would a pavlova be without slices of kiwifruit adorning its creamy top? You know what kiwifruit is hey. I suppose it has a distinctive taste but you don't hear of too many people who don't like it. Kiwi fruit was another fruit that I did not know about when I was a kid. By the time I became aware of kiwifruit, I also knew it by its alternative name, Chinese gooseberry. I don't have to do the legwork to find out more about kiwifruit. Time Spanner has done the hard yards and there is a link to her writing in this post.

But have you ever seen other kinds of kiwifruit? Apparently there are kiwifruit that have smooth and edible skins rather than hairy skins we are used to. Are they native to France? Most unlikely but here are mini kiwifruit growing in an area of France that receives snow. What a versatile fruit.

5 comments:

  1. Those Kiwis sure are achievers and they pop up everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feral child has been known to nom the hairy hide variety on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:52 pm

    Have you tried the gold ones? They're ok but I prefer the green ones. V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 1981 I discovered that kiwifruit causes me to have the total frightening anaphylactic reaction.
    I have been too scared since then, to ever try any 'new' fruit.
    You enjoy them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Victor, when they do high achieve, we claim them as Australians.

    Skin and all Jayne?

    Ann, I can imagine some could react to them. If there is a great new fruit, we would be eating it.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.