Monday, February 21, 2011

Favourite large world buildings

Strangely for me, you may think, one of my favourite large world buildings is quite modern and has come to almost represent London for me. I speak of 30 St Mary Axe. Know it? No? Better known as The Gherkin. 30 St Mary Axe is its street address. It is very visible from many parts of London and a good focus point to keep your sense of direction. It was constructed in 2004.


A couple of other favourite buildings of mine are both in New York City. One is the Flatiron building. Why? I don't really know. It reminds me a bit of the demolished Junction Hotel at St Kilda Junction. I guess I just like its shape and proportions. It was completed in 1902. The photo is large if you click on it and I recommend you do as it has some wonderful street detail. It was posted at the marvellous shorpy.com Below it is a photo of St Kilda's Junction Hotel. Note one of those new fangled electric trams in the photo. They can't last. Well, they didn't at the Flatiron, but they certainly have at St Kilda Junction.



Could humankind ever construct a building more beautiful than the Chrysler Building. Not for my money. It was completed in 1930. After the destruction of the World Trade Center in 2001, it once again became New York's second tallest building, after the Empire State Building.


17 comments:

  1. Love the Flatiron. The former ICI building in East Melbourne provides a similar effect.

    http://www.danielbowen.com/2007/12/19/two-dimensional-building/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feral kidlet's orthodontist has a HUGE mofo B&W photo of (current-day) Flatiron building (covers almost the whole wall) where I just sit and drool at the architecture ;)
    Melbourne's smaller version of the flatiron (refer WM) is up for sale as apartments atm, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:28 pm

    Sydney has something similar to the Flatiron Building, used to be the old WBC Building but now is the Radison Plaza Hotel on cnrs Pitt, Hunter & O'Connell Streets.

    They can't build buildings like these anymore. Am heading to NY in Sept so will get to see these famous landmarks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I think Sydney's Railway Sq has something like the flat-iron too. Shall trawl through my hard-drive.

    Okay more of that latery ... what's Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:55 pm

    I saw the Flatiron building when I was in NYC! It's great. Another building I really like is 101 in Taipei - supposed to look like a giant bamboo shoot. V.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on the Chrysler building! FAAAABULOUS!! But where's the Opera House??!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daniel, interesting. I'll take my own look next time I am at Parliament. It is quite a plain façade.

    Jayne, I did not realise it was so famous. I recall the WM posts, but I have forgotten the detail now.

    Anon, it shows well in Google's Street View. Nice. It too would have have passing trams.

    Julie, Friday?

    I remember when you went to see it V.

    Red, have you seen the Opera House up close? I can like it from a distance. It certainly is an iconic building.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We used to live very close to the Flatiron building. It was right next to our neighborhood park. We loved the area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dina, I expect it looks much more impressive from a distance, such as in this and more modern photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't there a building near Taylor Square in Sydney that, like the Flatiron Building, from a certain angle seems as thin as a single wall? My memory says yes although I'm not certain it is still there even though I pass through the square weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Victor, I have a vague itch in my brain about such a building. Because your streets are so higgledy piggledy, I think there were quite a number of buildings with irregular shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the shape and colour and all the glass of the Gherkin Building. I don't see that it doesn't fit with all the old architecture in London.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for mentioning Gherkin Jah Teh. Everyone else ignored what I think is a great building.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder if the building that Victor was scratching his head about might be the Griffiths Bros Teas building on the corner of Goulburn and Elizabeth. Not Taylor Square exactly but just a little way from Whitlam Square towards Central Station. I will put this comment on Victor's blog too and email you an image.

    Friday is nearly upon us. Are you excited yet?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julie, I know of the Griffiths Tea Building but did not have that in mind. Maybe it is a trick of childhood memory but I have a recollection of a building south of Taylor Square that had the Flatiron look when viewed from a certain angle. I'll check out the area when I am next there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great building Julie. I became confused. It is Commonwealth Street and Goulburn Streets. I am guessing it is not a tea warehouse now.

    Get busy with Google's street view Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Julie, what happens on Friday? It is a pretty meaningless day to a shiftworker.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.