Thursday, January 27, 2011

Food, food, glorious food

Food I did not grow up with as a youngster but now like.

Meat & fish cuts:
Rack of lamb (that cut was fed to the dogs)
Chinese pork sausage
Smoked cod
Lamb shanks (more for the dog)
Oysters

Meals:
Curry of any kind
Schnitzel
Chicken Maryland
Parmigiana
Pasta with sauce (tinned spaghetti was awful)
Stir fry
Satay
Thai curries
Hot and sour soups
Pho
Marinades

Vegetables:
Broccoli
Rocket (and other salad leaves. It was Iceberg all the way. I didn't even know the name Iceberg back then)
Zucchini
Salad onions (purple or red)
Spring onions
Capsicum
Olives
Avocado

Fruit:
Kiwi fruit
Nashi pears
Ya pear
Mangos (a bit of the Dan Quayle's here, tomato-tomatoes, potato-potatoes. Why not mangoes? Why not avocadoes?)
Lyches
Rambutan

Cereals:
Expensive breakfast cereals (It was either corn flakes or Weet Bix/Vita Brits. We never ate it, but Mother always had All Bran on the breakfast table. As a special treat, Frosties, Fruit Loops, Cocoa Pops, Honey Smacks).

One of my favourite sweets:
Gulab Jamun

Cheese:
Fetta
Actually, no other cheese than Kraft cheddar which came in a blue cardboard box. Occasionally Coon Tasty.

Condiments:
Black pepper
Vinaigrette for salads
Seed mustard

If you are of a similar age to myself, perhaps you could add what I have missed.

I recently challenged a foreign born person at work. Why do you need to have rice with every meal? It is like your potatoes, was his reply. Nay, I said. I don't eat potatoes every day with every meal. I eat food from all over the world.

While I can't really come at sushi (lordy, even tradies buy sushi for lunch now) and its kindred, how good is Australia that we can get and eat food from all over the world. I suppose it is the same to a greater or lesser degree in all Western countries. Why can't Asians and Indians eat other foods? Ok, they do a bit, but not with any gusto.

Gusto, I remember eating there in Aomori. Suddenly there are Gustos everywhere in Australia, but of a generic kind.

20 comments:

  1. I never ate pumpkin until I was in my twenties. My parents being from Europe initially only knew pumpkin as food for cows so it was never eaten in our home when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asparagus

    I thought it WAS 'mangoes' ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quiche

    And herbs in a salad like basil and coriander rather than the more straight-laced mint and parsley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parsnips (either pureed or roasted)

    Cabbage when it is not boiled to a grey sludge, rather hot stir fried in butter which gives it a nutty flavour.

    ... and something that has always been on the list from childhood through to geriatric days - shepherd's pie made from minced yesterday's roast lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sloppy reading.

    "Food I did not grow up with as a youngster but now like."

    I read it as "Food I did grow up with as a youngster but now like."

    Oops. Off to the $2 shop for a new pair of X 2.00 reading glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back on song with glasses adjusted.

    Sweetbreads and chicken livers.

    (Ignoring the cholesterol element - which is something one MUST do.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm, sushi....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweetbreads ... pchooee ...

    When I was a kid, my father grew paddocks of swede turnips which we called swedes - dumpy things with a maroon top. We kiddies would walk the paddock looking for ones he have fogotten to harvest. Pull them out, shell the outer layer of skin and then much away. Luverly ...

    No bloody idea WHY Dad grew swedes ... or what he did with 'em.

    Not sure which column this goes in, Andrew.

    Have you got corn-on-the-cob somewhere? And mushies ...

    When my kids were young, they hated eggplant. I used to tell 'em 'essence of eggplant' was in everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Lord Sedgwick - yes, "proper" shepherd's pie! My mum used to make it with cold lamb and mince it in a hand mincer that attached to the edge of the table. Yum.

    I eat a lot of things now that I didn't in childhood because we only had them out of cans and freezer bags, not fresh, which is just not the same - like asparagus and green beans, although, come to think of it, I wouldn't eat home grown beans as a kid, so maybe that had more to do with the variety. I remember once stuffing my mouth with them and then going out to spit them in the garden.

    Thank god the days of meat and three veg are mostly gone (except when visiting my mother).

    ReplyDelete
  10. aaw now I want sushi dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Victor, R said he never ate it in England. It was for the pigs.

    Yes Julie, asparagus is another, although I can take it or leave it. I expect you are right about mangoes, but not everyone agrees. Again yes, mint and parsley and that was it. Quiche as well.

    Occasionally have parsnips LS. They were better in the memory.

    Sweetbreads and chicken liver, yuk. Unless it is pate, which is another addition along with thousand island dressing and prawns.

    I don't dislike sushi Jayne, I just find it bland and boring.

    Julie, is this a state thing? We had turnips, not sure about swede turnips. We certainly, well not me personally, ate mushrooms but corn on the cob was alien to me. Eggplant wasn't on my list but should have been.

    Frisky, it is nice to sometimes have the meat and three veg, although it might be five veg now and a sauce.

    No surprise there Fen. I knew would like sushi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dad took long service leave in 1979 and we did the classic 'Round Australia' trip in the caravan. Up in Qld we tried (and loved) custard apples and five-cornered fruit, but those mysterious avocadoes had us guessing.

    In hindsight we'd bought some really unripe ones, but Dad nearly broke a tooth trying to bite into the golf ball middle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Custard apples I know Kath, but five cornered fruit? Does it have another name? Avocado stones are troublesome, not only for the teeth. They have a habit of popping out and sliding across the nearest surface.

    Now, the non definitive definitive on plurals of avodcado and mango from the Concise Oxford. Either are ok. Avocados is favoured but equal favour for mangos or mangoes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Garlic was a no no to my Scottish parents and not eaten in the house I grew up in

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ian, I left out a trio of back then evils; garlic, ginger and chilli.

    And some more, bok choy and lemon grass.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, but now you have to nominate the type of meat, the type of sauce ... I was going to say the type of pastry but I think that is a bridge too far.

    Snow peas

    WV=singess

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah Ad Rad, rather the opposite for you.

    Another Julie, snow peas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Growing up in the country, and in Northern NSW, things like mangoes were a little more common as I grew up. Also, lots of the things you fed to the dogs were high on the dinner plate in my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. James, those meat cuts became fashionable some time after I left home. I forget that you are so much younger than myself.

    ReplyDelete