Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bakery


Why did I take this photo? I can't recall. It is Soda Rock I think. Before it was Johnny Rockets or something like that, an American style hamburger joint. Underneath is a night club where taxis queue on Monday mornings and give R botheration when he is going to work. He lowered his passenger window one Monday morning and recounted to me that he heard a dude asking his bitch to suck him.

It was originally a cable tram engine house, back in the days when the Toorak tram only went as far as Irving Road and not Glenferrie Road. I think it also ran the cables for the Chapel Street trams, but I am not so sure about that.

The building is to be demolished soon, for what? You guessed, smart apartments.

Across Toorak Road was South Yarra Arms hotel, now Sportsgal. I bought my first dope outside the South Yarra Arms, as the Skyhooks song goes. A wee bit south down Chapel Street was the abattoir. Lol, there are still abattoirs in Chapel Street, the meat is a bit different.

Originally written 24/03/10.

11 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try a burger from that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it was Johnny Rockets. I went there twice in the time I worked at The Alfred Hospital. They used to come out and dance to rock 'n' roll music whilst you tried to eat their food... the burgers were SO HUGE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't not fulfil your desires for too long Ad Rad. Well the burger one anyway.

    That's right Cazzie. I had forgotten that. Sounds like fun but clearly the crowds must have died off for it to be re-invented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting to see R has trouble with the taxis. I get that on King St, they occupy one whole lane for almost a block. It's frustrating. I'd not dare wind my window down, those folk scare me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard about the King Street taxi parking issue Fen. You need a gun. Pass by them slowly and take each of them out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:50 am

    They can't demolish that building - I spent part of my misspent youth in it! Before it was a hamburger joint and a nightclub, it used to be the Fun Factory. There were loads of games and other carnvial-esque amusements. We kids spent hours in there. V.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Temporary amnesia V. I had forgotten about it being the Fun Factory. Oddly, it does have an internet presence, although mostly in reference to the new development. There is a facebook group too. What had also slipped my mine was Gayskate in days before blades when roller skates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:10 pm

    Gayskate????? Dare I ask?! V.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was for gays and lesbians V. Just roller skating among our own kind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yes The Fun Factory - Whack-A-Mole, and dodgem cars.
    There are far too many 'smart apartments' - where are all The Smart People?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brownie, you should see them pouring into SY Station in the mornings. There are so many apartment buildings being built, the station will collapse under weight of numbers. I heard in London at times they have to close down Tube stations because of overcrowding. It will be the same here. Welcome to a big Australia.

    ReplyDelete