Friday, December 31, 2010

The King's Speech

It was a very nice movie. It wasn't brain taxing, just enjoyable. We saw it at Como Cinema, a cinema that is usually on the quiet side. I ummed and ahhed about whether to book or not. I looked a the online booking system. I had a bad experience with one of the large movie chains when making an online booking once.

I don't think it has ever happened to us that we could not see a movie because it was sold out. I imagine it would be very disappointing so I rang the telephone number. Yes, the lass said, it will be busy, book your tickets now and arrived early to collect them. I am pleased we did as the movie sold out just after we bought ourselves a drink.

We are usually so behind in seeing a movie at the theatre, everyone has seen it and so we are not used to a full theatre. It felt a bit odd in a packed movie theatre. Thankfully it has good air conditioning. Maybe I missed something, but I had to get down on my hands and knees to read the seat row letter and could barely make out the seat numbers. Even old theatres had illuminated seat row indicators. Our second last movie was seen at Gold Class and this time I rather missed somewhere to rest your drink. Getting to your seat was made more difficult by non lift up seats.

I knew nothing of the movie before we went, so I was surprised to Australians Geoffrey Rush and Guy Pearce in the cast. They were excellent as were all the actors. Nor did I have any knowledge of the movie subject.

But we left the movie with some puzzlement. R is not a royalist and probably has the attitude of his English sisters who if asked would say 'those parasites have nothing to do with our lives. They are irrelevant'. I don't much more about royalty than what has happened in my lifetime, but I knew enough to work out who the people in the movie were.

R could not work out that George VI's wife was the gin swilling fag hag who only died a couple of years ago at around the age of 100. Her recipe for a long life was perhaps Gordons and Benson & Hedges.

I worked that much out at least, but I was puzzled over George's wife. Even once back home it took some seriously googlying before I came up with the name May. May? Never heard of a Queen May. Of course she went on to become Queen Mary, the king's consort. Ah, Queen Mary. My searching efforts were hampered by a big ship of the same name.

I just clicked my movie tag button and in 2009 I saw one movie at the flicks. This year I have seen three. Doing well.

10 comments:

  1. "Her recipe for a long life was perhaps Gordons and Benson & Hedges."

    Combined with never having to do a days work in her life. Well other than ringing the bell to summon servants and flunkies to bring her another plate of corgis in aspic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone says the book is far better (as always) but I've heard the fill-um is pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe you need a monocle to see the seat numbers? :P
    I'm as bad as you when it comes to actually getting to the movies. I've had half a mug of champers and I can only think of one movie I went to the cinemas to see this year, though it may have been more.
    Happy New Year to you xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're too antisocial for the movies these days - we're always the ones shooshing the people in front, or tch-ing the person with the mobile, or eye-rolling the kids. We don't bother any more and just wait for stuff to come onto cable TV. We only saw Avatar this Christmas Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corgis in aspic LS, haha.

    There is a book Jayne?

    Scott, so you don't go out clubbing then?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fen, I was surprised to see I had been to three. They could not have been memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your description of the Queen's mother was a real hoot - having totally Irish Ancestry and sympathies I have real trouble having any empathy at all for the Royals - as was said "Diana put Chins back in the royal family"

    but if its just a good story on its own might give it a look over

    ReplyDelete
  8. MC, Diana did indeed bring them back to life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no trouble identifying who was who even though the characters used their 'family' names rather than their official names.

    It was the most use I have ever made of my history studies at (an Australian) school in the 1950s in which all we seemed to study was the history of the British royal family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was a little later when I was at school Victor and we never studied British royal family history. Of five years I can only recall evolution and the Middle East. There was some study of Australian history I think.

    ReplyDelete