Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Its my ticket MYKI

Bails, the new Premier of Victoria who is of the dynastic Balliue, Bailleu, Baillue/Myer, whatever, family has decreed a review of out new ticket system known as MYKI. I have no problems with it, except sometimes a slow response at a machine. R is a newcomer to the system. He ought not receive a MYKI charge on a Sunday but he did. He called the call centre and they informed him that that charge was for the previous day's travel because he did not touch off on that day. We scratched our heads. Did R forget to log off on the bus? No, we didn't catch a bus the day before. Operator said it was a tram non log off. But you don't have to touch off on a tram he wailed at the operator. It would seem if you want your accounts in order, the charge matching the day, you do. R wasn't overcharged, but if you know you have free travel on a certain day and see a MYKI deduction when you touch on, then it is clearly a problem.

There are other issues with MYKI, but as I said, it works well for me. Oh the cost of the system though. Way too much. Regardless, Bails would be crazy not to continue with its roll out as so much money has been spent on it already. It is not a bad thing that he is getting an auditor review.

I am a bit surprised at the low take up of MYKI though. I thought you may have saved a few cents here and then but then I saw a chart that compared the Metcard cost of travel against the MYKI cost, and the MYKI savings are considerable. You are talking of a saving between 50 cents and a dollar for each casual ticket purchase.

I'd suggest you get out there and get yourself a MYKI ticket while they last and save yourself some money.

11 comments:

  1. What is it with these systems that are massively expensive to install, don't work properly, and require a whole new admin network to run? Given that, how can tickets be cheaper?

    It's all academic to me as I've never used MYKI, but just askin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The default fare for non-to touch-off can happen for previous travel on a tram, but should be $2.94, eg the Zone 1 2-hour fare -- what you should have paid. The problem is some of the terminology is unclear.

    There have certainly been problems, but mostly now it's working.

    However the savings in most cases are no better than using a Metcard 10x2 hour; that's why most people haven't switched. The only compelling discount is the $3 weekend fare also applies on public holidays if using Myki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Typo above: "non-to touch-off" should be "non touch-off"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree Red. We are talking billions of dollars, so we are told.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:28 am

    I use my MYKI, I have not had any problems with it either. I do agree that it ought to be continued on, rolled out
    Cazzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. And as always when you post on this subject my response begins 'meanwhile in nsw...'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must say Daniel, I did not compare bulk ticket purchases. R used to buy multiple trip tickets, but I did not pay much attention.

    It is a very expensive system Cazzie. You ought not have a problem.

    Victor, I was reading about Sydney planning issues yesterday. I had to remind myself that I was reading about Sydney and not Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The menfolk have no complaints about the system, seems to work fine for them and The Spouse has noticed a little savings here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And you? I suppose you have a special card to wave around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always pay attention to the balance shown on the scanner, and it really is cheaper than 2-hour ticket purchase.

    The billions should not be followed by more billions. I really think all public transport should just be free. It would be cheaper in the long run - first savings would be the wages of all those STASI inspectors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mod, a significant event took place that altered R's ticket purchases and I am not up to speed on what he buys now or the savings over multiple purchase tickets, but I think they are significant.

    ReplyDelete