Friday, December 10, 2010

Cheerful stuff to start your weekend

If there was anything that could do my head in, it would be being guilty of something like this. Her Dad may not be to blame, but to not bash your head on a brick wall until you were unconscious would be difficult. While I can't remember why, a couple of weeks ago I became very alert to the fact that I need to be careful when reversing in out carpark for this very reason. Post surgery I was using mirrors when reversing, but I can now turn around and see behind me. Story from The Age. I expect distraught might be an understatement.

A toddler has died after she was run over in the driveway of her family home in Victoria’s north this morning.

Police say the 18-month-old girl’s father was reversing down his driveway in Euroa when he struck the child just before 10am.

The girl’s distraught parents called triple-0, however paramedics were unable to revive the girl, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Sergeant Ashley Mason said the father had been out in the morning and stopped in at his Mansfield Road home for a short visit.

The tragic accident occurred as he was pulling out again.

‘‘The family is absolutely distraught, as you can imagine,’’ Sergeant Mason said.

The Benalla Highway Patrol will investigate the circumstances of the collision, including how the child came to be behind the vehicle.

A report will be prepared for the coroner.

7 comments:

  1. ugh, was just talking to a colleague about this. What an horrific thing to have happen :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is horrific and sadly there are regular reports of incidents like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like this sort of incident is overtaking backyard swimming pools as the major at home danger for toddlers.

    When walking my granddaughter to school I'm aghast at the number of drivers who barrel out of their driveways paying no attention to who or what might be on the footpath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my brushes with death was my father nearly running over me with a bus. It was night, mum was getting my sister ready but I wanted to go and slipped out. Something told Dad to stop moving and he heard me crying. The back wheel had just brushed the front of my coat. That's how easily it can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For sure Fen.

    Victor, I recall there were a couple of horrific ones in Sydney.

    Yep LS, you have to keep them with you and not let them run on ahead.

    Jahteh, an almost real case of being hit by a bus. Lucky you weren't mushed. I kinda like having you around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so much depends on the choices we make - no one of us is immune as I know well

    ReplyDelete
  7. MC, you always did the best you thought at the time.

    ReplyDelete