Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Where am I?

Coming across a public space like this is very unusual in Melbourne. It is not a hard quiz. You will either know or your won't.



Later Edit: I recall the Hawthorn Station became very run down, maybe in the 1980s. I think a new station was proposed but the local residents wanted their old one restored and successfully argued their case. Well done Adam and Daniel for a quick answer.

I am not so keen on the grubby looking timber but overall, the station is quite nice. Not quite so nice is the graffiti. The bricked up arches are interesting. It would be very interesting if they were open to the outside and people could just stroll across the track. Ted, get onto the graffiti will ya.

7 comments:

  1. I've never been to Australia, but I think these are the steps, up and down, to a Metlink station in the old part of town. Part of the decor, like the brackets are a give away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like Hawthorn station to me. I used to use that station when I was studying uni at nearby Burnley College, so I am pretty sure I recognise those steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter, you are on the mark. Not exactly inner, just past. Depends how you define inner really. We would now say it is a Metro station, Metro being the private company that runs our trains. Metlink is an overall body that has more to do with timetables than anything else.

    Quite so Adam. Well done. I don't think there is another station like it. I will edit the post soon and add some extra detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, Hawthorn Stn. Geelong Stn has a similar footbridge under the roof; I'm not sure any other stations do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel, I knew you would know it, having been a local resident. It was who saw the post first. I will ask my sister about Geelong Station.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not having graced Hawthorn with my presence I wouldn't have had the foggiest.

    Geelong and Ballarat both have those footbridges and are enclosed, would have looked magnificent through enveloping steam years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jayne, probably enclosed to protect people from steam and soot.

    ReplyDelete