Monday, November 29, 2010

Rules on Public Transport

I have yet to notice anyone ever getting fined on a tram for putting their feet up on seats. I know they have been on trains. Often people don't ever bother to guiltily remove their feet from tram seats when a staff member boards the tram.

What would be the best way to get people to remove their feet from seats? I have seen one tram official in a joking and jovial manner get someone to remove their feet from a seat. I have also seen another abruptly order someone to remove their feet. I have also seen someone informed of the amount the fine would be if they were caught again. For mine, I would just fine them.

Crowding around doorways is probably something that can never be stopped effectively by any rules. But there are some rules that could be introduced and enforced that would make a tram, train or bus trip more pleasant for everyone else.

Eating and drinking on public transport should be banned. It is not tolerated in many cities and should not be here. The stench from take away food can quickly fill a whole vehicle and be quite revolting. School kids and adults alike leave drink containers, take away containers and wrappers behind. Sometimes there is spillage and because of the movement of vehicles, liquid can spread over a large area quickly and often the floor ends up very sticky. Bottles roll around the floors. Just today a saw a middle aged woman on a bus eating a salad from plastic container. She dropped something from her plastic fork. She was concerned about where it touching her blouse, but left whatever fell on the floor.

Newspapers? You bring them on, you take them off.

Loud phone conversations? The culture of mobile phones is too embedded to stop impolite usage of phones now, but it could well be moderated by an advertising campaign.

Taking that last drag of a cigarette, throwing the butt on the ground and then exhaling the smoke inside the vehicle all over people is not nice.

Sticking gum on the underside of a seat doesn't worry me, unless it is a seat that automatically folds up when you stand up. Yuk.

A little contentious because I doubt everyone will agree with me, it is ok to sit in an aisle seat with a empty window seat beside you. You may be going a short distance and it will be a lot easier to get out. You may feel claustrophobic and trapped if you are in the window seat. Whatever, but wherever you sit you need to cheerfully co-operate to let people in or out and nor do you have your bags on a seat when people are clearly looking for a seat.

Just using some thought when you are travelling would make it much better for everyone else.

8 comments:

  1. I love V/Line conductors with balls who march through the carriage briskly telling the very odd idjit to get their feet off seats/clean up/quieten down/ etc.
    I can haz one on Metro and trams, yez?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Public ANYTHING (eg campgrounds, toilet blocks, parks) has similar problems because (in my opinion) basic respect for other people & others' possessions is no longer a value. So much for good old Aussie 'mateship'!!

    Happy travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. some *MYKI workers who discussed their customers on eFfingBook, were sacked because it contravened the Public Transport Act.
    todays news. just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jayne, as soon as they have gone, the feet go back up. They should be fined to deter them.

    Sad but true Red. You are putting me off our round Aussie trip.

    Deserve to be Em Stacks. Why do you think I don't mention my work, except in very general terms. I wouldn't be able to hold back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what about the morons who smoke whilst ON the tram, hiding up the back stairwell? That just pisses me off. BUT I'm too scared to say anything. I met the woman who politely asked a moron at one of the loop stations to stop smoking and she got punched in the face for it.

    I hate sitting next to other people if I'm not in the mood, so I try to find those single seats up the back, or I stand in the non exiting stairwell and face away from everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not actually seen anyone smoking Fen, but I have seen the evidence on the floor. At times I go into 'I vant to be alonez' mode too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a general decline in courtesy to, and consideration for, others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Victor, you are right of course, but I wonder if the sheer numbers of people in our large cities is partly responsible.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.