Sunday, November 07, 2010

Help me Sydneysiders

Not sure why this crops up in my mind every so often, but I wonder if we were taxi cheated the time before when we were in Sydney. We were certainly cheated last time using the airport train. Only local knowledge can tell me. I was chatting to a Thai businessman a good while ago. I realised he had been taxi ripped off big time for his trip from Melbourne Airport to his city hotel.

We caught the cab in Darlinghurst Road in the Cross at the south facing rank to go to the airport.

I thought we would turn right into William Street, right into Bourke Street and then into the tunnel to get to the airport.

Instead the driver turned right into Victoria Street, probably right to get to Macleay Street and then Wylde Street and Cowper Wharf Roadway and maybe up Bourke Street or onto the Cahill Expressway, where I see there are tolls. I think it was Bourke Street though.

Waddya reckon Sydneysiders?

10 comments:

  1. Tolls on the Eastern Distributor are only when you are heading north. It sounds as if it may have been further, but probabky less traffic and less lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you wouldn't have copped any tolls from that entrance. Not sure where you were exactly on Darlinghurst Road but there may not have been much difference between those two entrances to Cahill Expressway. As Panther said, he may have been avoiding traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not convinced Panther. The driver was a nice and friendly bloke and did not seem the type to rip us off. I have driven the trip into William Street and Bourke Street myself. It wasn't hard or slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JBar, we were staying at the Holiday Inn, Potts Point, so I suppose we almost at the corner of Bayswater Road and Darlo Road. It was around ten am, so roads not so busy, but peak time to get a cab to the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:42 am

    I think it may have been the quickest way and only entrance for him to get on the Eastern Distributor to airport. So wouldn't think you have been ripped off. Fare I presume shouldn't have been more then $30-35.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon, the way I suggested works, as I have done it. At the time, I didn't think it made much difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we do go to Sydney and stay with friends at Banksia, we instruct the Taxi driver on what way we want to travel there. Of course we are polite and always make conversation with the driver as we go along. It avoids us being "ripped" off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Requires local knowledge Cazzie, which I did not have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew - he took you a longer way. Sometimes the Bourke St entry to the distributor is closed off so that may have been a reason he took you the way he did but in that case he could just have easily gone straight down Victoria St, South Dowling St and on to Southern Cross Drive however there are a eight sets of traffic lights along the way and that route can be very heavy at times. It may be that he judged the route he took to be the quickest given whatever other circumstances prevailed at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And don't I know South Dowling Street Victor. Heading north, 5pm on a Friday night.

    ReplyDelete