Thursday, November 11, 2010

Anglo Indian Movies

There was a brief time in the eighties when Anglo Indian movies had high appeal. I really mean English Indian movies. We saw a few of them. I loved them.

It was one of the most erotic things I have even seen on the big screen, that is when the actor Daniel Day-Lewis dribbled champagne from his mouth into his Pakistani lover's mouth when celebrating the success of the opening of their laundrette in the movie My Beautiful Laundrette.

I asked R and he can't remember any details of the movie either, but we both loved Sammy and Rosie get Laid.

There are not too many movies I have seen twice, but Bhaji on the Beach was one of them and I enjoyed it just as much the second time. If you like fast US dialogue and action packed, it is probably not for you. Think more along the lines of the Kumars at Number 42. In fact I think the actor who played Sanjeev's mother may well have been in Bhaji on the Beach.

All fine movies in my memory. I should think they would still stand up.

3 comments:

  1. let me commend emphatically to you and to all, a visit to DHABA in Kyneton. Immaculately-kept, totally authentic restaurant run by Jessi from Punjabi and his wife Jen who was born in New York They have Bollywood movies screening non-stop on the huge bluestone walls - the building is a National Trust Mill on the corner of Ebden Street and Piper Street.
    Grab a table on the front deck and watch the luxury of Piper Street drift by as you try to resist a second helping of mango ice cream.
    Ebden Street is a mass of bluestone, and Kyneton is just too divine dahlings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw My Beautiful Laundrette whilst on a visit to San Francisco in 1985.

    It seemed so daring to me at the time.

    Being still closeted at the time I walked out of the cinema on a high with a sense of improved self esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good Em Stacks. We have someone who lives there who once was a friend. His life became complicated and we only exchange greeting cards. Still, it would be an excuse to go there.

    Victor, I am only getting this as I read your comment. The movie was empowering. Was Johnnie a bit of a skin head, very straight acting and yet was gay and fell in love with a Paki, 'scuse the French. You are right. It certainly helped my self esteem.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.