Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Birthday Gifts #1

For a long time I have wanted these two books. The book to your left, which R bought for me, is a history of Whelan the Wrecker who was responsible for the destruction of many many Melbourne buildings. The book to your right is a history of the street where I live, St Kilda Road. I bought the latter as a birthday present for myself from Ebay. It is out of print. I perhaps paid too much as my offer was immediately accepted. I later discovered my offer was the book's new retail price when it was published.

I would have just read past information about Whelan the Wreckers yard in Brunswick without a pause had not LiD at One Little Detail mentioned it a couple of times. Click here for her first post and here for an update.

I had already borrowed the St Kilda Road book from the library a few years ago, but I am still enjoying it a second time around and it is good to have my own copy for reference.

The Whelan the Wrecker book, A City Lost and Found is a fantastically interesting book. It is a not a dry history but full of anecdotes, information and social context. If you are even just vaguely interested in Melbourne's buildings and its history, you must get a copy, around $30 new.

12 comments:

  1. Whelan I've read and loved but have only flicked through Grand Boulevard in the past, must make more time to read it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover of MGB looks very terrific. I am in Melbourne early in NOvember to see Leonard baby and Hairspray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't Boulevard have an 'e' at the end when I was at school?

    Maybe I'm losing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on that one Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayne, I suppose you need a special interest really, to read through the whole book. I would have done the same as you if I did not have a personal interest.

    Julie, Mirandahhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was at a Melb University college attended by a son (I think) of old Whelan. He was wrecked in a gay bondage blackmail/extortion incident with some oiled and buffed up lads in the 70s or 80s (Calendar years - not ages!) which ended up in court and the newspapers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LS, don't say he was one of those homosexual types! A building wrecker! Impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well your Lordship, it was TERRY Whelan. I sat next to him at a fashion parade once. He was with Jenny*Ham. It was at Georges and the model is now married to David Frost.
    and, that St.Kilda Road book was designed by our cousin Lauren.
    When I read it, I thought of stuff that was left out.
    Well done HighRiser.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All interesting Ann. I guess some stuff had to be left out. I found a few mistakes in it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terry (no relation) was toweled by the lads.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Whelan book is a great read. What we have lost is astonishing. Love the bit about the fence and corrugated track found under one site - Bourke St ish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember that too LiD. Amazing to learn how people were protesting about the loss of good buildings back in early part of the 20th century.

    ReplyDelete