Friday, October 22, 2010

258 Flinders Street

I have deliberately left this in its original size. I was passing by and I thought, what a fine building. Looking at the picture, it appears to have a high rise attachment behind it. No matter, it is great use of an old building. Take note Planning Minister Madden. You don't have knock down every old building in the city. Old buildings can be recycled.

If you click on the photo, you can see that it was built in 1872 and rebuilt in 1891. Why?

I had a vague memory of a fire in the area. All I can easily find out now is that in 1887 there was a huge conflagration in Flinders Lane, which is directly behind this building. It could well be the reason it was rebuilt.

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous.
    I'm sure Minister Madden, should he ever need that spot, would pay to have it relocated in a park of our choosing, Andrew *cough cough*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful building indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Jayne.

    And very practical and modern on the inside Cazzie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:18 pm

    Sydney seems to do this alot. Retain the old facade and build new behind it. At least you get an idea as to the building was beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a good reuse of buildings, but wait for the ridiculous one I will post in a day or so.

    ReplyDelete