Saturday, September 18, 2010

ITunes

Keep this in mind to illustrate what a troglodyte I am. In the mid nineties a friend installed a trial version of the ACDSee picture viewing program. He also installed a crack code for it. I was happy with it, but come the next Windows 95 reload, the crack would not work. Instead once a month I un-installed the program and re-installed it. I kept the original installation file through reloads of Windows and three or four new computers and would you believe that I still use it today, still once a month un-installing and re-installing. If I don't, I get a nuisance nag box.

I have tried Windows picture viewer and also Irfanview but neither does as simply as what ACDSee does, that is looking at pictures and sometimes rotating them.

With our first computer came a Norton Anti Virus. Before the word bloatware had been invented, I had already decided Norton was bloatware. It took over the computer and made for more trouble than it was worth. I now use AVG, which updates itself daily and just works away in the background and never interferes with anything. If you want AVG, you have to hunt pretty hard on their website to find the free version.

This brings me to the ITunes program. I am not sure what version I have, maybe 8 point something. I get nags to update, which I ignore, but I do wonder what I am missing out on at times and I am tempted. I think the program is very large and I know it can do heaps of stuffs but certain reading has given me some clarity of thought.

I don't need ITunes. I principally use it to download podcasts from ABC Radio National and BBC Radio 4. I am always hopelessly behind with listening to podcast but they are not normally too topical and can keep.

Possibly ITunes can automate all this, but given I use an MP3 player rather than an IPod, perhaps not. I turn on ITunes, it checks the areas I have nominated and automatically downloads the podcasts. I then go to Windows Explorer and drag all the podcasts into one folder and then drag them all onto my MP3 player and then go back to ITunes and individually delete the downloads. I just know it could be done much easier, but it is not a high priority for me to learn.

Nah, I don't want ITunes. All I want is something to check when new podcasts are uploaded. I can go to the site to grab the podcasts manually as quickly as any other way. I think I will check that the individual program sites for rss feeds that will alert me to new podcasts and then I will remove ITunes from my computer.

Btw, it is all Fen's fault that I ever installed ITunes. She mentioned her delight at finding the first episode of a second series of Is It Just Me had automatically downloaded to her ITunes and I thought, I must have this ITunes.

10 comments:

  1. I purchased an iPod for an exorbitant amount about 18 months ago on the principle that if these young kids manage them then they must be OK. I downloaded a few of my CDs but only after a degree of unexpected difficulty including the realisation that somewhere along the way I had signed up for some iTunes store that I didn't want.

    Then I found that iTunes had reordered all the tracks alphabetically making a nonsense of the CDs.

    I was fed up.

    I put the iPod away in a drawer and there it has lain ever since, unused and unloved by me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Itunes is a hideously bloated piece of software. I have it at work as part of the work deal. It always takes AGES to load. Yuck. At home, I mostly use Rhythmbox which is fast and fantastic, though I'm experimenting a bit with Banshee. And ipod vs mp3 player? Most of the music/podcasts I want to listen to fit on the 8gig card on my mobile phone. Generally I don't need to carry around my entire music collection "just in case". Mostly I find I listen to half a dozen albums at a time and update when I get bored with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only suggestion regarding keeping an eye on latest podcasts is to use something like Google Reader. You add the rss feeds and then when the latest appears you have the option of listening within the reader or downloading the audio. It's how I manage podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I got ACDSee I used Xnview which is not as good as ACDSee, but more user friendly than Irfanview. Does a lot of the editing available in ACDSee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect illustration Victor. So you are not sitting outdoors with your laptop in front of you and your ear buds in your ears looking ever so cool.

    James, I have looked at alternatives and all seem overly complex for what I need. I will take your advice and add the feeds to googlie reader.

    LS, I have just taken a look at XnView and it looks impressive. But again it does many things that I will never need. I'll stick with ACDSee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We purchased ACDSee long ago, and have upgraded a few times. It is a delight to use, and even does most of the editing I require for photos.

    I have not found any other photo viewers that are as good to use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Panther, I thought I might have been the only person in the world still using it, seems not. It is clean and simple and that is why I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have version 8 ACDSee (lots of bells and whistles) on one computer and version 3 (simple and easy) on the new all in one whizzbang desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe LS, mine version 2.43.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha ha ha ha ha oh I get the blame huh! I really like iTunes, but then I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to over 100 gig of music that's on my HD. It has to be all tagged correctly and so on.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.