Mother's best friend died twenty years ago at the age of 49 from a brain tumour. Last weekend her late best friend's widower died at the age of 70. Sister took Mother to the funeral today. Mother's late best friend's daughter, who would be about 45, rang Mother to tell her of her father's death. At the end of the tearful conversation, she asked Mother if she still smoked? Mother confessed she did and the daughter said so did she and told Mother that if she has survived to be so old, then maybe her own habit was not so bad.
It is interesting that the daughter smokes, as neither her late mother or father did, and nor do her two brothers.
I used to admire Dame M who smoked and drank excessively and was a picture of health at 81 and had never suffered more than a hangover. At 82 she was dead from smoking related causes.
Odd to hear our Lord Mayor state that he is unaware of cases of cancer caused by passive smoking, especially given his other public role. I am sure there are cases. If you are constantly in a room full of smoke, then you must be inhaling it and it can't be good for you. But if he meant a wisp of smoke from a stray cigarette hits you outdoors, then ok, I will wear that.
I cast my mind back to when people smoked while shopping in supermarkets and it was nothing to see people smoke in our Myer department stores. How times have changed. Back then we seemed to be desensitised to second hand smoke. Now, you walk along the street and you can smell cigarette smoke from a mile away.
I don't think there would too many people who would now argue that smoking should be allowed indoors in public spaces. One marvellous thing that came out of banning smoking indoors was the explosion of outdoor seating at cafes and outdoor areas at hotels and so forth. Not much later, along came outdoor heating.
Considering that, in my opinion, outdoor eating around the world and especially in Australia only took off seriously when indoor smoking was banned, is it fair to now ban smoking outdoors at cafes etc? The reason we have all these outdoor and winter heated cafes to dine at is because smokers were kicked out from indoors.
Medical Authorities warn that smoking can be hazardous to your health.