Sunday, September 19, 2010

Asians in advertising

These sneaky orientals have among us for as long we have been in Australia. In my case, they were probably in Australia before my family was. All those before 1970 snuck in and kept their heads down and we did not notice them. Well, maybe a few stuck their heads up, but they were quickly put down.

After 1970, these Asian people flooded our country, made us drink fish sauce neat and tried to force us to replace our spuds with rice. Fortunately a mutual starch agreement was reached.

So how many years is it since these not the ones who slip under your radar Asian people appeared? Nigh on forty years since the first Vietnamese arrived Have I been so tuned out from commercial tv that I have not noticed or has it just happened in the last year? Are television commercials presenting people of Asian heritage as normal people in no particular context but just as part life?

Lordy, before you know it Australian tv commercials will be replacing black Americans with Aborigines. Just can't have that at all.

My mother is of a certain age and upbringing. She will bang on about 'foreigners' if you give her the chance. That is except for her Filipina bride and now widow type next door neighbour who is Emmy, only fifteen years Mother's junior. Mother complains that Emmy talks too much and gives her a headache, rather like Mother complains about everyone. Each night before sleeping Mother peaks out at Emmy's house to make sure there is light on and Emmy is at home, just in case Mother feels she may need some help from someone she trusts.

If you don't quite get what I am saying, Asian heritage people have always being among us but now the mighty advertising dollar has spoken. They are officially part of the Australian norm. So speaketh the ad agencies.

4 comments:

  1. OTOH, MY mother (probably of a similar age) bangs on about 'new australians' - no matter how long they've been out here.

    The irony is that she came out from Britain in 1946 and has never taken out Australian citizenship.

    That's new Australians for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The US is much further ahead than us. I was really intrigued to find three different print ads for ranch salad dressing, each one featuring a kid of different ethnicity (white, asian, african).

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother's sister used to always complain about 'boat people'. I asked her, "how did you get here then?"

    Now - between you, me and the gatepost - they all arrived here in the early-50s on a boat, and were economic 'refugees' in search of stable work and a better life.

    My aunt could never give me a better response than "but that was different", implying that her family was needed (and conversely, these 'boat people' are not).

    I believe that what she meant was "but we look the same and they don't", but at the time I guess she knew that she wasn't supposed to say it out aloud (this was before Pauline Hanson).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Le me guess LS. She would say 'why would I want to be a citizen of this country'?

    AR, that just sounds like ad targeting. It rather takes it too the extreme. It seems to me that in the US, a black person must be included in ads.

    Hi Kris and welcome. Like my mother, yours is a product of a certain time. Even at my age, I have things that were bred into me that I really have to fight against. Of course as you get older, your views become more conservative and far less tolerant. I at least recognise that in myself.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.