Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Did I just hear right?

Ten, twenty thirty forty fifty or more, the *beep* Red Barron, was rolling up the score.

Yes, when I was very very young, in the song called Red Baron, we were not allowed to hear the word bloody on the radio and it was beeped out.

The first time I heard the word fuck on tv was in a very grim play about Australian Aborigines in an urban setting, which would have been in the 1980s.

The venerable radio broadcaster, author and photography expert Terry Lane was the first person I heard say fuck on radio, possibly the early nineties.

I don't mind the word used in context, as it was on the occasions I mentioned. Thankfully it never caught on as everyday language on tv or radio. I maintain that swear words are for when something bad happens. By using them in everyday speech, they are devalued and leave you no where to go except repetition.

In a internet list I am a member of, some occasions were recently recounted where sometimes accidental and sometimes deliberate double entendres or swearing went to air. So although I am writing this, most of the information comes from others.

I expect many of you know about the late Graham Kennedy's crow call. If you think a crow makes a noise like aaarrrrk, you can work it from there if you still don't know, add an f.

Attributed to one Paul Konik, he was suspended from the radio air waves for saying shit.

In Sydney Ward Austin advertised Honda motor cycles with the phrase, 'hot and throbbing between your legs', or another variation heard, 'what is red and throbs between your legs?' A Post Office motorbike of course.

Sydney's 2JJ's first broadcast was marred by the announcer knocking the stylus arm across the record, the record being Skyhooks, 'You just like me cpz I'm good in bed'. He apologised and confessed that he had 'fucked it up'.

An ever so proper ABC 2BL news reader read his last broadcast with, 'This afternoon a woman in the North Shore suburb of Wahroonga was bitten on the funnel by a finger web spider'. If it wasn't his last day, I would believe it was an accident.

But my favourite has to be radio broadcaster Lionel York advertising Leggo's tomato paste, "so girls, when hubby comes home from work, open up the Leggo's'.

Thankfully society has moved on from such juvenile nonsense, hasn't it kiddies?




11 comments:

  1. I don't think we have cos I just giggled all the way through that post :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's always a place for juvenile nonsense. Although that place should be small, and only visited occasionally.

    My pop used to play "Snoopy vs the Red Baron" to my sister and I when we were very small. We thought it was rude. Funny, I've just thought that as it's a song presumably written by North Americans, "bloody" in that context isn't a "rude word" at all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting how quickly (and far) things have changed.

    I still recall the first time I ever heard the word 'shit' spoken in a movie. It was in 1972 in the great musical 'Cabaret' when Liza Minelli flops back on her bed after a disagreement with her friend. It was the only four letter word in the film.

    I was watching the movie with my parents and the shock of hearing the word in public was so great that I felt myself blushing in the darkened cinema.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *snigger*
    Moved on?
    Doubt it, when there's a lubricant named Innuendo.
    Used to sponsor an LGBT radio station, the innuendo (or in-your-end-o) came thick and fast.
    Pun intended :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:56 pm

    hehe I will NEVER grow up and still giggle at rude things lol, I remember the snoopy vs the red baron, also I was never allowed to curse "jesus christ" we had to say Gee whiz.

    but great post, memories that came flooding back.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all I'm not Australian, American or English. The first time nudeness was shown on TV, here in the Netherlands, was October 9, 1967, eons ago. I still can remember that vividly, I was eleven at the time.
    It's the top video of this link: http://geschiedenis.vpro.nl/artikelen/36980663/

    Swear words have never been a problem on radio or TV overhere, it all depended on the broadcaster, we have some 26 of them and they show their programs on 3 national channels next to them there are of course many independents.

    We always joked when we heard the *bleeps* on imported programs like Jerry Springer and consorts. Just because those big countries with their so called 'Freedom' were not free at all. They had to *bleep* the freedom out, so the tender ears of their viewers wouldn't 'use' those same words?!

    Sometimes you need some well chosen words to express what you really wanted to say and to get the message across. The rest of the time, just swallow your pride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, the Full Monty can be seen in video 2 around 6 min 44.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:41 pm

    I have not sighted that add.. and I do not think I want to either :(
    Huggs Cazzie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't they just love a bit of filth.

    Antikva, you have a good sense of humour at least.

    I suppose you are right Me. Americans don't use bloody.

    My favourite movie ever Victor. I had forgotten that, but yes, I remember. As kids we used to shriek with laughter if someone said bum. I used to get very embarrassed by gay scenes in Number 96.

    I remember that Jayne, but clearly I wasn't listening to you as there weren't any innuendos.

    Giving your age away Michelle. I think we would have been slapped if we said christ. Well, we would not even tempt fate by saying it.

    Hi Peter. We in Australia were well aware of the liberalness of European media. In fact we can and have seen frequent nudity in Euro movies on one of our government and advertising tv channels, SBS. Now almost anything goes on any channel. It just depends on the time and the target audience.

    The last one Cazzie? Pretty crude, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you may recall the headlines when Mary Hardy got banned from appearing on TV after she said the F word on The Penthouse Club after a karate demonstration went horribly wrong. This was some months before Graham Kennedy's crow call, and Mary was off TV for months before the authorities allowed her back on, with a severe warning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How could I have possibly forgotten about marvellous Mary, the woman who made my ever so proper grandmother shriek out loud and clap her hand over her mouth, but Greandma kept coming back for more every Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete