Sunday, June 13, 2010

They drop faster than flies

I suppose we had stepped over the invisible line into South Yarra, a posh area, and so it is to be expected.

I was with Sister and Little Jo at the playground in Fawkner Park. Sister was busy picking at her feet in the early morning sunshine while I monitored Little Jo. We were surrounded by young blonde women with their hair tied back into ponytails and with their kiddies in expensive perambulators. Ha, these women have married well, but I know that such marriages can come at a price.

Not sure why, but my thoughts turned to Africa, where ten children die every minute. Or is that one child every ten minutes. Does it matter?

I whinge, moan and complain about many things, but not too much about myself personally. I am an extremely privileged person living in a western country where no one needs to starve to death. How can we let children Little Jo's age starve to death or allow them to die from easily preventable diseases? At times I need to remind myself of the fact that the world does allow this, and I expect most, nay, all of you do too.

Photo is of my indulged, spoilt by my standards, loved and nurtured niece at play. She is a long way from Africa.

7 comments:

  1. as Pants has just said on her current post, asylum seekers sell all they own to pay evil people for a passage to these playgrounds for their own children, and if they don't drown, we slam them into detention camps instead.
    We are all privileged, only some of us are fully aware of it.

    (stars and gutter homily courtesy St. Oscar of Wilde)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, while I am not one for filling Australia with even more people, it was interesting to note a boat with a dozen asylum seekers sank with the occupants drowning,, yet such an effort was put into saving one yachtswoman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touche, Andrew - certainly makes you wonder why the life of an American teenager is apparently worth more than those of a boatload of desperate people.

    Do you take Little Jo to Fawkner Park often? If so, I'll keep an eye out on my way back from the tan. Look for a tall, sweaty, red-faced 20-something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't taken her to that park much recently. We used to go more often when a playground was on the western side. I think you would be doing an honest day's toil whenever we are there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And her going without will not help one African child at all. Africa is a rich country with minerals, good soil and it could be a rich continent apart from the deaert areas...its the causes of starvation - constant wars in many countries, and extremely corrupt leaders who favour their own people and allow the others to starve and be persecuted - this will all only stop when the causes of starvation are addressed. Poor little children and the vulnerable, like the elderly, disabled and others always suffer - hopefully one day it will settle down so there can be some sort of life for these little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Africa being a rich country is the bad part MC. Education is the thing, and what despotic and corrupt leaders don't want for their people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MC covered what I would have said, and she words it so well.
    Andrew, you think of the things I have on my mind alot. But, I think of people here in our country too. It sure is a World wide problem. I see it in healthcare with the elderly too.
    Support for communities, including education for the people sure would go a long way. That is "if" the people will accept it...and if governments allow the people to reach it. Like you said, some leaders do not want for their people what they ought to be able to obtain.

    Little Jo is so gorgeous btw...and she will learn great things from her loving family I am sure

    ReplyDelete