Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Outback environment

You can read about how clever crows deal with cane toads back here.

I also wrote about Australia's imported pests here. I wonder if I should have included non Aboriginal people too? Speaking of which, what an exciting find the recent Aboriginal rock art is. It possibly dates back to when Australia had mega fauna. See what your bible bashers have to say about creation now.

Cane toads are marching on and it is depressing that neither crows or humans with golf clubs can stop them.

It seems we will never win against the little pests, but there are larger pests we can eliminate.

Buffalo. We have made a good effort against buffalo, but I believe there are still wild ones. They are not hard to get rid of if a concentrated effort is made. Sympathy factor for buffalo, maybe 3/10.

Camels. Not as bad as buffalo perhaps, but there are so many of them and they are a serious pest. Sympathy factor, 5/10

Goats. They could come back even if all wild goats are killed. Some idiots will let domestic goats go wild again. Sympathy factor 2/10

Pigs. Nearly impossible to eliminate, but that is no reason to not try. Pig hunters won't like the numbers reduced. Otherwise, sympathy factor 1/10.

Which brings me to the final one, where I am not going to win friends perhaps. The critter called a brumby has been around a long time, as has its name. Why was it given a softening name so early on and not named as what it really is, a wild horse? We don't need wild horses stomping their hooves all over our country but the problem is, sympathy factor 9/10.

9 comments:

  1. In Britain we have a similar problem with Tories. Annoyance factor 10/10. Impossible to eradicate. Despite a cull every few years, the somehow manage to get re-elected (even when they're not) and continue their 'feed the rich, f**k the poor' destruction of social reforms. Weed killer and estuary english sends them scurrying into dark places, but the general rot goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Australia has the only wild Banteng in the world on the Coburg Peninsula, so there's possibly a wider implication to eradicating these beasties...

    Definitely no sympathy for pigs, camels, etc. Don't forget foxes, highly destructive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you can guess where my sympathies lie. I am with those who would rather see brumbies retrained, rehomed, and their numbers monitored in the wild.
    I would happily join with those that shoo them onto private property when the DSE hire people to cull them and sell them off for dog food.

    As you have said, all these animals are here because of humans, so in my opinion humans owe them a debt. There must be a better way than straight out culling - which is not particularly humane in my opinion. Perhaps a sterilisation program could be effective?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought they might have bred themselves out by Brian. Damn.

    Interesting Me. Never knew they were so scarce.

    You were in my mind LiD. Your suggestion is the preferable way. I recently heard how many brumbies starve to death, often at waterholes in the outback.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recently heard an interview with a chap who captures and trains brumbies, probably the same one you heard.
    It seems cruel but the poor buggers are starving as most national parks are overgrown with noxious weeds and undermanned. Comes back to proper funding all around, yet again, instead of spending it on car races and stadiums we don't need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you Andrew. You just knew this posting would attract me didn't you?! The Brumby situation is a heart breaking one, but something has to be done as they are causing the death of native animals with their hard hoofed way. If we can capture and retrain I'm all for it, if not ... As for me, well the human virus is the one that worries me most, bulldozing the scrubby bush so they can build massive houses they never spend any time in because they have to work all the hours to pay for them! Present company clearly excepted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jayne, think I heard it on Sunday morning, can't recall the details now, except the bit about them dying at water tanks. Priorities. Short term pleasure over long term, perhaps irreparable damage.

    Cheryl, scrubby bush is just not cuddly or even great to look at. Clearing such land raises little sentiment, yet a whole world lives in scrubby bush. I am pleased you continue to highlight the problem. We haven't learnt our lesson yet, but the way autumn seems so late this year, we ought to be learning fast and acting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If the Crows sing like graham Kennedy mimiced on tele many years ago, "Farrrk" and got into trouble big time...maybe they are crows -what noise do the ravens make...

    Re non aboriginal people...I consider myself almost -indigenous I know my history way back so where am i indigenous to? My people are from ireland, Wales Yorkshire etc...? butAustralia is my homeland and was my mother's and her mothers and on back to 1840.

    In my mind we all came from somewhere originally, Africa or wherever...hope i don't stir up a hornet's nest but I feel so in sync with this land and its big skies, its bright light and seasons...for me it is my spiritual home as well as my emotional and physical.

    I don't feel like a blight or pest in this my country - everywhere we have lived we have planted trees, cleaned up the creeks and dam, protected the wildlife as much as possible.

    Like all who love this country in this way I belong here. Its my home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Similar if not the same sound MC. Kennedy would have actually known raven calls rather than crows. The rest, nicely said. Most of my ancestors arrived about the same time as yours. I feel it is where I belong, although I did feel a strong connection when we were in England.

    ReplyDelete