Thursday, June 03, 2010

Open up

We designed our own kitchens for three different houses, successfully. After knocking a wall out at our Glen Iris house, we had a huge space and we filled it with cupboards and pantries, which in turn filled themselves with STUFF.

I like our kitchen here. It is good to work in except for awful corner cupboards and some cupboards being to high. But it is not blessed with a lot of storage space and as we mostly cook meals at home, we need a certain amount of goodies in storage. So we us a couple of shelves in the linen press for the overflow.

Top shelf is the sewing box, various platters, a tea pot, a large stainless steel pot, a blender and a seldom used electric griller.

The next shelf down is mostly spare foodstuffs. Some because the opened product is running out, some things bought because they were on special, such as the coffee and the cereal because the large boxes won't fit into the kitchen cupboard they are supposed to go in. Behind the cereal are all sorts of small bits and pieces in a basket such as yeast, various exoctic teas, small jars of jam etc. We clean it out every so often.


Next down is a mixture of reusable bags, spare linen, table cloths, spare paper towel, more gifted foodstuffs in the box, spare tissues, Coke, soda water and juice for Little Jo. There is often a good bit more on this shelf.

The shelf under that has two sets of towels, that is two towels, two bath mats and one hand towel and of course there is a third set which is in use. The rest are a mix of towels for visitors or whatever and a couple of beach towels. Tea towels are at the front and old tea towels, now used as dusters, at the rear.

Bottom is spare vac bags, two tool boxes full of tools, the revolta vacuum cleaner and extension lead. In behind the vac is a steel box with the drill and jigsaw in it and a spirit level.

12 comments:

  1. not too many people could happily expose their cupboards like that - congratulations on tidiness and organisation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My god, that is so civilised!
    Won't find that kind of politeness in this household, you're a braver man than I, Gunga Din ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Organised perhaps Ann, tidy not. The two lower shelves are messy. I have tried to make them tidy, but it is impossible. Too many different shapes.

    Jayne, just wait until I post pics of my bathroom cupboards. Then you will know about what mess is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:49 pm

    You need some bracing under those particle board shelves - easy peasy....
    Michael.

    (And your disgustingly tidy to boot!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not realise how bad it was until I saw the photo Michael. I did manage to break the shelf in my bedroom wardrobe. I will do remedial rather than proactive when the shelf breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:17 pm

    You can spot the Uni graduate a mile off......
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me Michael? 'Fraid not. Poorly educated blue collar worker. Ok, you have incited me to be proactive and make a prop from the left over laminated chipboard that I made my wardrobe prop from .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:45 pm

    Andrew - erk! Using chipboard?
    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chipboard is doing the job in my bedroom wardrobe Michael. It is quite thick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry,not chipboard. It is some laminated thick ply wood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. modern layered plywood is definitely very very strong.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pleased to hear that Mod. My shelf won't crash down in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.