Sunday, June 06, 2010

Last one standing

This is the last house in St Kilda to be still privately owned. Quite nice it is too in an understated manner. The owner tends the gardens personally and the house looks to be well maintained. I have had communication with the owner some time ago about outside advertising in St Kilda Road. It won't be a surprise to any of you that both he and I thought badly of the crude and cheap advertising.

Our friend Vik and I sat outdoors at a cafe in St Kilda Road having lunch one day and as she spent a good bit of her childhood as a St Kilda Road resident, I pressed her as to where the the Post Office was back then. Her memory of it was as hazy as mine. I had been there, but of the remaining old buildings in St Kilda Road, I could not work out which one it was. I remembered only the entrance.

I have looked carefully at every possible building trying to work out which one was the Post Office. I am fairly sure the last privately owned house in St Kilda Road was the Post Office. Correct me if you can.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure I recall the 3004 PO being on the odd-numbered side, and it looks like that house, but is a few doors from, or next door to, the Dun&Bradstreet building.

    I hate the way AusFknPost has closed all the big spacious PO buildings and franchised them out to creeps who run toyshops with post services as a sideline. hate hate hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:12 pm

    It was definitely on the even-numbered side and not far from the Commercial Road intersection. I remember it being an old red-brick building, probably an old house. Vik.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They just don't feel like proper post offices do they Ann. Can you trust your letter to France at a place that sells toys?

    I am positive that it was on the even numbered side too.

    Vik, which puts it exactly where the privately owned house now is.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.