Sunday, June 06, 2010

Just another rainy Sunday

Not too wet, but too wet to take Little Jo out to the park while we looked after her this afternoon while Sister went to the football. Her team won, so she is happy. I am not a football team hater and I don't begrudge her team a win but I did suggest she be careful not to do an Isadora Duncan with her scarf triumphantly out the car window while it was still around her neck. She is ten years younger than I am and not a gay male, so she just did not get that at all. If you fall into that category too and don't know, try googlieing Isadora Duncan scarf.

Sister and Little Jo arrived at 12, Mother and ABI brother at 2 and all had gone by 5.30. It only feels like people have been here for ten hours. We put on a fine bit of nosh for all and I have never seen Little Jo eat and drink so much. I fear there'll be an shocking explosion sometimes between now and tomorrow morning. Not my problem.

We did venture out in the morning. I am not much of one for McDonalds, but I have been twice in the last six weeks. Once to try an Angus burger, ho hum. This morning to try a breakfast roll, very nice. How shabby and dowdy the St Kilda Road McDonalds is looking. It is well due for an upgrade.

The main reason to go out was to buy a new cordless keyboard and mouse, our fourth set. I can't recall why the others were ditched. One was because it was white and our new computer was black, as was the monitor. Each new one is an improvement over the previous. The first couple we bought were shockingly troublesome with their connectivity to the computer or the transceiver. I am not usually one to throw a tantrum about computer related matters, as it fixes nothing. I leave the tantrums to R, who has someone else, me, to blame. But a tantrum I did throw over one of them. I just could not get it to work. I went back to the store and the clever person told me to go home, plug it back in, and it would work. Lo, it did. Like us, it just needed a bit of a lie down.

Oh yes, the old mouse starting double clicking when you single clicked, resulting in closing windows you wanted open, going back two pages instead of one and sending emails before they were ready to send. Sorry 'bout that Jayne. I altered the click speed, but it still played up.

The nice new Logitech was reduced at Harvey Norman from $129 to $58. Best thing, I got it home, plugged it in and it worked. No fiddling, plugging and unplugging and pressing connect buttons endlessly. The mouse is great to use. I am hitting quite a few wrong keys on the keyboard though, but the letters keys are ok, just some of the others must be a bit different. There is an extra button to press in conjunction with the F keys to give extra functions and four of them I can customise and a key to press for battery condition in the mouse. A battery symbol light comes on and shows the charge level in the batteries. But the brand new batteries that came with it are indicating half charge.

I normally use rechargeable batteries that need recharging about every three weeks. The promise is that normal batteries for this new unit will last eight months and the keyboard over twelve months. There is a button on the underside of the mouse to turn it off. We will see. I do like getting new toys to play with. Gee, after six. I am overdue for a large stiff one.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:41 pm

    The rain got me too - I couldn't run my power tools outside to finish off my big landscaping project, AND the cement I poured 2 days ago is under water........apart from that, changed a few light bulbs, added to the 'Throw out" pile in the office, and did bugger all. Was nice for a change...
    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:48 pm

    And yes, the tech stuff. I am still using an old Honeywell keyboard from the 70' had some maintenance, but not much. Go through a lot of mice though....
    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being wet will ensure the soundness of your concrete Michael? Honeywell, a blast from the past. Clearly corded keyboards and mouses are more reliable. Are you still cleaning mouse balls?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...so I did as you said and googled Isadora Duncan because I had no idea who she was (even though I'm a gay male). So she died in 1927...that was a long time ago! Hell, she was born in the 1800s!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why, but I'm aware of the Isadora Duncan saga, although I think it was more a matter of automobile safety rather than any gay influence. I can just picture my mum screaming at me to put her scarves back in the wardrobe before I got on the tractor lest I 'Duncan myself' in the paddocks.

    Everything I use is still corded too a degree. My first gen iMac even still has a track-ball mouse, and unlike the newer Mac keyboards and my laptop, still has a numerical pad which is sorely missing from the modern ones.

    I tried a cordless mouse, shaped like a Porsche 911 at work but gave up in frustration as the fucking thing refused to connect and when it finally did was too erratic to use successfully.

    To add to my tech woes, I had all manner of problems with a DVD copy of the Eurovision broadcast from last week. A situation that could've been avoided with a good old fashioned VHS recording.

    I say bring back the cords. And the tapes. And anything else that was as entirely failure-free as I remember those old systems, which as you well know never ever fucked up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:00 pm

    Mutant - true, if it works, why try to "improve" it...
    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really AR? I did not know she was quite that old. I hope you picked up the point about how she died.

    Dear Victor, are you alluding that I wrote something suggestive? It was a hard day, I needed a strong drink.

    Mutant, auto safety, being gay and Ms Duncan all intertwine. Not for a minute do I believe that your mother is of an age where she would warn you not to Duncan yourself, but it was a nice addition. The problem with your non corded mouse was that it was in the shape of a Porsche and all that goes with it. I wanted to see Sam and Julia commenting. Never mind. Next year. After enduring an anti tech rant from b/f tonight, perhaps I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael, stop trying to ingratiate yourself with a Mutant. If he wants to play with your dickie, you will know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Andrew - you got it in one (as I was sure you would) and I'm still not biting.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, you got me. She may not have said 'Duncan yourself' actually I think it was something closer to 'you'll meet the same fate as that Duncan woman'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:07 pm

    OK. Agree with mutant on the relentless advance of gadgets that usually didn't work as reliably as the generation they replaced.

    Isadora Duncan? - got herself strangled when her scarf etc etc...she should get a Darwin Award for that one.....

    There was something else, but I forget.....

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mutant. Your mother is not so old really is she? I am surprised she knew about Isadora.

    Michael, tech stuff does take some time to become reliable. It all is just so much better that back in the mid nineties when I first started using computers. Isadora was pretty glam wasn't she? I can't recall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew who Isadora was, Andrew, and what happened with the scarf! I've always thought it was a beautiful name. Perhaps I'll name a future daughter after here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Agree MD, beautiful name but I can't recall anyone else ever having the name.

    ReplyDelete