Friday, June 11, 2010

Flogging some mushies

When ABI Brother and I were kids, we ventured into capitalism on our parents farm. We put considerable effort into our venture. We bought brown paper bags from the local shop to pack our produce into. We painted up roadside advertising signs on Masonite sheets.

By mid morning, we had harvested the wild mushrooms from the paddocks and we were ready to sell. We had two plastic washing baskets full of produce to sell to passing motorists. We only had two customers for the day and we were so disappointed, but not for the reason you may be thinking.

Our first customer came along and bought a paper bag full of mushrooms. We were over the moon. The first old bitch, male or female, who is wondering how many shillings or pence we sold them for is owed a good slapping. I can't recall, but it might have been twenty five cents for a paper bag full. I may have been called cheap, but I have never charged cheap prices.

Our second customer came along.........and bought the lot. All our stock gone in one hit! We started to try to put all the mushrooms into paper bags when Father, who must have been hovering in the distance, appeared and suggested we just give the customer the washing baskets full of mushies.

We had planned to spend the day selling our mushrooms and it was all over in a flash before lunch. I suppose we had the money in our pockets but that was secondary. We had given Mother our lunch orders to be delivered to us, as we did not want to miss a sale with our absence. All our work for nothing except for the base dollar. I am sure this is the point where I started to become cynical about capitalism. It is just not very entertaining.

9 comments:

  1. You would have loved the ep of Landline last week; mushie growers galore flogging their product, now with added Vitamin D via a zap with multi-million $ UV light, the research data, the marketing, the packaging, how mushies have stayed the same price for 10 years, etc.
    Cynicism over capitalism would have been birthed with just that episode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it a couple of days ago Jayne. Must say, they were well organised. I don't like mushrooms, but I bet they taste better when picked from the field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When is the last time you tasted a real field mushroom, black as black when it was cooked - my wouldn't I die for that taste...we did the same with Dad's beans when we were kids...but we were there all day...that was fun so can understand your disappointment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Urg MC. I just remembered the smell of them cooking. I just don't like them. We used to dry them too, threaded onto a string. Fresh beans just from the garden, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:18 pm

    Dad and I would donn our wellies and go mushrooming together. I loved being out there cutting the big as a plate mushrooms!
    Nan used to love cooking with them.
    Cannot wait for our own muhies to grow, we have them growing in a styrene box right now. Also, our veggie gardens are coming on so well...cannot wait to share the produce with everyone :)
    Ahh, the things we did as kids :)
    Cazzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like mushrooms either.

    I brought home take away for dinner this evening and have carefully removed all the mushrooms before heating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mushrooming is good fun hey Cazzie. Great for kids. Don't eat all your mushies at once.

    How compatible we are Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah memories. (You are good at eliciting them Shirl.)

    I remember mushrooming for pocket money back a couple of centuries ago when I was in primary school.

    Braving the frosts and the cattle that charged at us of the thick fogs.

    Then boxing them up to take to the railway station en route to SPC (I think) for tinning.

    Then the excruciating wait for the cheque that would fund the purchase of the next must have model aeroplane kits.

    After mushrooming there was ferreting for rabbits for pocket money.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LS, not sure if it is a good thing that I can stimulate your memories, but in this case, a nice trudge down the memory paddock.

    ReplyDelete