Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Useful Facebook?

I was reminded by TimeSpanner in New Zealand the reason I first joined FB. Like her, it was to support a cause, the first one being Save the Leas Lift. Success. The water powered lift in Folkestone England is saved. From the Beeb: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/kent/8604318.stm My post at the time here.

Other groups I joined:

Taxis off Swanston Street (Melbourne). With only eight members, I don't think it was very influential. Having said that, taxis are going to be removed from Swanston Street, eventually. Yay.

Drain and Restore Lake Peddar. I recall when Lake Peddar in Tasmania was flooded in the seventies and I was very much against it. The lake was so beautiful. I confess to not investigating this group properly. 680 members.

Save Lonsdale House. It was not and is now demolished. Publicity and public protests could not save it, and nor could a concerted internet campaign. It was not just about Lonsdale House for me. It represented something we are rapidly losing, the character and history of our city.

Eddie Mcguire is ruining the 2010 Winter Olympics coverage. Oh dear, why did I join this? I think it may have been over homophobic comments by Eddie and others. It certainly stirred passion, with over 10,000 members. For mine, get rid of celeb commentators at sports broadcasts and use proper commentators who know what they are talking about. Eddie went right on talking through the rest of the WO, so I would call this one a fail.

Save the Windsor. Appalling of you people. Less than 1,000 members. Join up now. Even so, I think the awful building to be built behind the Windsor will not go ahead.

Save the Bacchus Marsh 'Avenue of Honour'. Good membership of over 4.500. I can't guess how this one will turn out. The organisers have emotion on their side, which may win the day.

All those against Regent Cinema in Brisbane being Knocked down! A mega 7,600 members. I will guess that it will be saved. I recall some pretty nasty protests when Bjelke Petersen allowed the demolition of the Bellevue Hotel and he can also be remembered for the demolition of Cloudland Ballroom. Evil and corrupt man. Don't let it happen again.

7 comments:

  1. A beautiful old building in Bourke Street, Equity Chambers, is being inappropriately developed into cramped condos, and despite being presently full (because of it's proximity to Melb Mag and the Supreme Courts) of Barrister tenants, no VCAT Heritage Listing application will be pursued because ... that would cost $100,000
    They need a Fbk page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard about it Ann. At least it is not being demolished but I fear for the way it will be altered. Good extra info, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, there's a Facebook group for everything.

    Still not keen to venture into the world of Faceboo myself.

    How active is the Save Lake Pedder Facebook group? That issue has been off the radar for quite some time down here (it's more about the Tarkine & Florentine these days). Interesting fact: Lake Pedder (the new one created by the Hydro dam) is included in the Southwest National Park & World Heritage Area - just in case it's ever drained.

    Just thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we have seen the rise of FB Me, and now its disfavour. As I said, I haven't investigated the group properly. Have you seen photos of the old Lake Peddar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facebook is the first internet social phenomenon that I've consciously shied away from.

    I have seen quite a few photos, but I've no doubt it doesn't compare to the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents used to go to Cloudland when they were dating. I'm sad I never saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It might be interesting if you get heavily into it, but as I said, I don't have the time for that and this.

    Ok MD. I think it was demolished in the dead of night in 1982. Hope they have some photos of themselves there.

    ReplyDelete