Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Special School

From the north of Victoria to the south, from the east to the west, school zone speed limits are standard. Ridiculous times in my opinion, absurd locations at times and absurdly low limits in some places, but that is how it is.

Except, not for the children who attend a school in Balaclava Road, East St Kilda who obviously have very influential parents. While I admire their achievement, I think it is wrong for the State Government to make an exception.

Most of us have to work within the system. Not so for the Balaclava Road school. They changed the system for themselves only. What power!!!

As this link shows, 8.00AM to 9.30AM and 2.30PM to 4PM is standard. This did not suit the Balaclava Road School, Beth Rivkah College I believe. They lobbied hard and had their speed limits changed to 7.00AM to 9.00AM and 2.30PM to 5PM.

Good hey. Don't fit in with society, but change society's rules to suit you. I like the principle, even if I do not like the result.

13 comments:

  1. I don't have a problem with individualising in this way. At least people have to READ the sign or pay the penalty. Rather than just assuming they know what the sign says. Sorry ossifer, that sign is new/different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be interesting to hear what action they took to get the times changed. I wonder if other schools have also approached the government - and if they've had any success?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, it just annoys me that the rich and powerful can change things because they are well connected and influential lobbyists but the less well off don't have the wherewithal to do so.

    MD, council, Vicroads, local federal member Danby to just start with. So far as I know, it is the only school in Vic that has succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:50 pm

    Funny thing that - the local branch of Wesley College has stuck with the traditional times.....but they managed to install a set of traffic lights as well outside the entrance - makes it so much easier to get in and out...
    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wesley Michael? If you can't beat them, join them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As wicked as my proposal some time ago for myself to donn a reflective vest, paint a bright orange lolly pop on a stick anbd get out there and man the un manned crossing at my kids' school...and, and, I was not allowed to do that! Perhaps if I were rich, lived in a mansion and had kids at such a prestegious school I would not have had to worry. Hmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noisy wheels for school crossing supervisors do get oil Cazzie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:57 pm

    Mmmm - your all a bunch of left wingers!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. One thing I've noticed of late is school speed zones and how they differ. Around my area there are a good number of private schools. All of them seem to have permanent 40km/h zones (24/7), while all of the nearby government schools have the standard times.

    Makes one wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I notice you have two school speeds in Victoria (40kph and 60kph).

    In NSW they are all 40kph as far as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mostly I expect Michael.

    Never connected the two Andy, but I think you are right.

    Victor, here it depends on the general speed limit. 70 or less goes down to 40. More than 70 goes to 60.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy with that as long as they make sure tree branches don't obscure the signs which is a nice little money earner...

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is one obscured already.

    ReplyDelete