Saturday, May 29, 2010

A bit of public art in St Kilda

I like to think of this sort of decoration of street utility objects as beginning in New Zealand and slowly starting to spread here. What I like to think is probably wrong, but there is a lot of this type of work in NZ. I had to go to the lighting shop in St Kilda Road, St Kilda and then I needed to go to Prahran, so I walked along Pakington Street to catch the Chapel Street tram. Very mixy street. A friend who died bought a house in the street at the same time as we bought in Balaclava. He renovated it beautifully and I suppose it would be worth over $1 million now. It looks like the Porter's Lime Wash on the exterior is holding up well. It has a high brick front fence, so no photo.

Later addition: Time Spanner just yesterday posted a prime example of some New Zealand works. Take a look.


Naturally enough, I just missed a tram, so I was gazing around and noticed this. Back in 1979, cough splutter, I remember it being a milk bar. The building has housed many businesses since, and it is now a cafe. Certainly brightens up the corner in a very Fitzroy kind of way. Perhaps a bit too bright for mine.

9 comments:

  1. I don't mind where it came from - I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the builing but I'm not sure about the mural. I think I'd prefer the paint job of the top storey.
    Sydney - City and Suburbs

    ReplyDelete
  3. For sure Cheryl. The art turns plain utilitarian street fitting into interesting objects.

    J Bar, there are plenty of buildings where murals would work well. I think it is a pity to spoil what is quite a fine building. Mind you, it looked nothing up top until it received a decent paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:50 am

    Wow! - first picture (round thing) is a Telecom 900 line cable access unit. Worked on too many of them...
    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With a million wires in it I suppose Michael. Never understand how you know what to cut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The more murals, done well, the better I think - some of those grafitti artists are really good - a shame they don't give them really public places to expand on their art work - but then maybe its the challenge of putting their moniker on places they aren't supposed to

    ReplyDelete
  7. Done well is the key MC. There are hundreds of murals around Fitzroy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:26 pm

    Deloraine, in Tassie, is worth walking around, lots of street sculptures.
    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't need any pushing to go to Tassie again. I loved it. Ok, bit to the west of Lonnie.

    ReplyDelete