Saturday, May 08, 2010

Around Town

I had a few bits and pieces to do in town. I don't recall ever being to Hosier Lane, which is supposed to have great murals painted by street artists. I took myself there via Little Collins Street. I don't think I have ever walked along this section of Little Collins Street. I turned right into Hosier Lane and it is a very open lane, leading from Little Collins to Flinders. I saw a couple of large murals I liked, but there was a lot of tagging too. I would sum the lane up as ugly. Amusingly a small work by the UK street artist Banksy was accidentally removed by council contractors a week or so ago. This outrage even made the BBC news.

Halfway along the lane is a smaller lane at right angles. Within there a group of unsavoury types were hanging around. Another couple walked past me, headed into the side lane. I am just not going to linger here. I kept my wallet, camera and phone out of sight. Down at the bottom of the lane a group of Chinese mainland tourists were getting a guided tour of the lane. I suspect they weren't going to be taken up past the side lane.

Great effort Victorian Planning Minister Justin Madden. You are responsible for the destruction of Lonsdale House, a substantial art deco building in our fair city, and goodness knows, we don't have many examples of art deco.


Pots, pans and lids and other cookware ware hanging from the roof at Fed Square. Why? Is it but art?


One of my and R's favouristist shop in Melbourne, not that we can afford to buy anything there. The coloured glass sculptures are just beautiful.


Plenty of Camerafaces here at Fed Square, including yours truly. I decided the aspect ration for the screen is wrong and I wasn't quite as fat as I looked on the screen.

17 comments:

  1. Everyone 'knows' televisions add ten pounds in weight.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that shop, I shall go investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First they put up a black cloth to hide the destruction. Now the barbaric act is open for all to see. The ruination of a beautiful building, and the degradation of a streetscape. What an unforgivable waste.

    I am seeing a few sculptures around the place made with pots and pans. Must be the thing de jour. Love that glass shop too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. however small a city is, and however long one may have moved through it, there is always a surprise to be found by acting as a tourist.
    A friend just told me about the Met Shop -not tickets for trams, but a branch of New York's Metropolitan Museum Of Art. It's on the 3rd level in Australia Arcade. and divine. who knew?

    and madden the mongrel will pay a price for his sportsman's philistinism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Met Store is the correct link. sorry about previous sloppy memory. They sell reproductions of the Picasso, Tiffany and Faberge things they have in the NY Museum.
    Floral watches, Frank Lloyd Wright leadlight windows, and Cleopatra's Egyptian jewellery. It's a danger zone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh yes I love that glass shop, it has some amazing stuff in it. Never dared to venture in, in case I knocked something over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shh Victor. Modern young people say kilos, not pounds.

    Pretty things Jayne. Go in from Flinders Street, especially if you have your dad with you.

    I am in despair about it LiD. There was a report of another loss today, where a façade will be kept, with a towering building over it. Ha the culture of eating out changing to eat at home, using pots and pans?

    Ann, I will go there before lunch on Monday. It is ringing a bell though. I may have been there.

    Hehe Fen. R picks up things in there, while I panic that he will drop something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Andrew but the equivalent figure does not sound as impressive in kilos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our age gap is showing Victor. I really don't know pounds and only vaguely recall stones. Oh that I wish it was only ten pounds that I saw.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those sculptures are cool! I am scared to look at them lest they break :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know Caz. I go into panic mode when R just casually picks them up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dreadful... After reading the comments I realise I've crossed the 10 stone mark. Yuk.

    What I was attempting to mention though, was that yet again you and I happened to be in the same place at the same time. I had a funny feeling you may have been there too. Next time lets see if we can actually run into each other, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brace yourself Mutant, it will be all downhill now. Which place was that? Fed Square?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Towards the back with a paler shirt on than the rest and something hanging from my arm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was in Hosier Lane over lunch, then Fed Square after that, checking out the book fair mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spooky Mutant. Has the book fair moved? There were tables with white table cloths set up when I was there. Wine or something.

    ReplyDelete