Saturday, April 10, 2010

Wentworth

At least two of my blog readers live in the Sydney Federal electorate of Wentworth, soon to be vacated by the retiring parliamentarian Malcolm Turnbull. It is an interesting seat because of the extremes within it.

I think it would be fair to say that it Australia's richest electorate. Note some of the suburbs, Elizabeth Bay, Potts Point, Edgecliff, Darling Point, Point Piper, Double Bay, Bellevue Hill, Rose Bay, Vaucluse, Dover Heights and Watsons Bay. I think it is reasonable to say that these areas would be very pro Liberal Party.

Then you have the slightly cheaper areas of Bondi Junction and Bondi Beach, Bronte, Clovelly, Tamarama and Waverley, and some of Randwick. There would be a greater mix of votes in these parts, with some old time Labor voters, still a good number of Liberal voters but possibly a stronger Green vote than the richer areas.

Paddington is within the area too and it is not a cheap place to buy some digs. Although not cheap, I would say this is a Labor/Green voting area.

Closer to the city it encompasses Kings Cross and Darlinghurst. Here you have the gay vote, traditionally Labor but becoming quite Green now. You have a good number of people living in rented accommodation and likely to vote Labor. There would be a good number of Aborigines, also very pro Labor.

And here folks it all goes wrong. While certainly around the Cross are poorer people who would vote Labor, what partly inspired this was hearing about large numbers of Aborigines, yet Wentworth does not cover Redfern where I would expect many to reside, and nor do I have knowledge of also mentioned housing commission high rise blocks. I know where a couple are, but they are outside of Wentworth. The border of the electorate runs up Anzac Parade, along Oxford Street for a bit and then probably down Crown Street and takes in Finger Wharf at Woolloomooloo. Serious lack of local knowledge on my part. Fill in some extra meaningful info if you wish.

8 comments:

  1. Where to start ...

    Very few Aborigines is my guess. They are over Redfern, Waterloo, Darlington and Glebe area. Same with public housing ... not much in this electorate at all. I would think it has a high proportion of retired people and a high proportion of 20 - 35 singles/couples. I would think the education level here to be high, too. I rent in Paddo and am retired with a couple of degrees.

    EBay, PP and Edgecliff not so Liberal, higher proportion of renters. Bronte and Clovelly are quite well off.

    I don't know if the socio-economic analysis can box Wentworth in. It is an electorate that would vote for a GOOD liberal candidate. Note no capital letter, okay. Even the Liberals here are nearly noice.

    Labor does not put up very good candidates. Celebrity candidates dont work here - footballer or tennis player. Yuk. Has to be a policy wonk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woolloomooloo, I do believe has a sizable Aboriginal population, public housing or not I am not sure.
    Though I have not lived there for some 6 years am enrolled in Wentworth at a Waverley address and still do vote for the good folk running for office.
    Wentworth's boundaries were recently changed to take in the inner city suburbs and thus it went from a safe Liberal to marginal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, I heard that there are extremes of poverty within the electorate. But without government highrise flats, I can't see that there would be a huge number, not enough to form a voting bloc anyway. Thanks for the clarifications on the suburbs.

    Hey Ian, that is good, still being enrolled. We did eat at Woolloomooloo one evening and no evidence of Aborigines. But then as a tourist, no surprise there. All seats should be made more marginal where possible. The noisy marginals get all the oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The border of the electorate runs up Anzac Parade, along Oxford Street for a bit and then probably down Crown Street and takes in Finger Wharf at Woolloomooloo."

    Interesting place names. Sounds like somewhere Frank L. Baum cobbled together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfamiliar place names are often interesting Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't mind seats being marginal, but the oiling shits me. We want policy that if fair and across the board.

    Wooloomooloo, not sure about the Aboriginal population. No evidence of that when I walk around the streets and indigenous folk live on the streets. The 'loo does have some public housing but not high rise, town houses etc. It is populated by battlers.

    Yes, I would agree on the extremes of poverty. But it is also a very aware electorate, active.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right of course Julie. Policy for the greater good, unless it is my electorate and I want some oil. I used to be less selfish. I am pleased it is an aware electorate. Even with the redistribution, I would have thought it would heavily favour Liberals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The ALP needs a candidate who is not a local council wanker. There is a high Greens vote. As I said, a strong liberal candidate will take it.

    ReplyDelete