Friday, March 05, 2010

You have the facts wrong

Without getting the Concise Oxford out, isn't a fact a truth?

I suppose I am being extremely pedantic but it is something that pulls me up every time I hear words like, 'you have the facts wrong'. Maybe, 'I doubt the facts'. Or, 'The facts are not accurate'.

The marvellous ABC broadcaster, the very late Peter Evans, used to say in reference to unique, and I am sure he was not the first, you can't be quite unique, like you can't be a little bit pregnant. Something is either unique, a one of, or not. Unique is not a halfway word.

You can't be a little bit pregnant and surely a fact is a truth. Facts are inherently not wrong.

But aren't facts like knowns? Donald Rumsfeld coherently explains.

3 comments:

  1. lololol I knew it had to be humour when it was Rumsfeld...except the sad thing is he probably doesn't see his thinking as odd.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...isn't a fact a truth?"

    Not necessarily. As Indiana Jones said, "Archaeology is all about facts. If you want the truth, you need to be in the philosophy class down the hall."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The alarming part KN is that he wasn't trying to be funny.

    Good quote Brian.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.