Saturday, March 27, 2010

Renaming Kingsway to Sukhumvit


It was mid morning when I took this snap of Kingsway, a road near us and one I use often. It is supposed to be a quiet time for traffic, when people are at work, children have been delivered by car to school and there are a few people just going about their business. By the gaps between the cars, you can tell it is a quiet time.

Further along to the left is what I probably think of as our local pub, the Palmerston. To get to it, we have to cross Kingsway. I refer to it as Sukhumvit. If you are familiar with Bangkok, you will get that.

While St Kilda Road carries a huge number of cars too, along with trams, it is much more peaceful than Kingsway and Queens Road. Traffic sewer is a good description of Kingsway and Queens Road.

I recall a year or so ago when the Domain Tunnel was closed for a couple of weeks after a horrendous accident in the tunnel, a VicRoads spokesperson saying that that yes, the closure would cause problems, but Kingsway and Queens Road have a huge capacity to move traffic. Indeed they do, but over the past year I have noticed, and experienced that these roads have passed their ability to move the traffic along them efficiently. They are no longer free flowing major roads, but stationary bumper to bumper roads. They are not unusual. This is happening all over greater Melbourne.

What to do? Start by having a train that takes ten minutes to get from Flinders Street, to So Cross Station and then to the airport. I think the planned underground railway from Footscray to Caulfield is a great plan. Just get on and build it. Train line from the City to Doncaster, train line from Huntingdale to Rowville via Monash Uni, hands down misere.

Apart from the airport train line, none of those will help Kingsway and Queens Road. Go west young man, go west. Many have and many young women too. It is not unreasonable to suggest that a train trip to Geelong should not take longer than twenty minutes. Some people in the west have good access to a train to the city. Why don't they use it? Well, they do to the point where no more people can fit on the trains. Why aren't we building new train lines to the west and north west where the population is growing at an extraordinary rate? As the houses are built, so should be the infrastructure, including train lines.

When that is all done, I might just have a nice local road to drive on that is not bumper to bumper traffic. Selfish? Yep, but you all know something has to be done.

7 comments:

  1. Loop the lines, link up to 3 different lines with one extra track crossing them all.
    When I am queen bitch of the universe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my mind, this links in with the current "discussion" on the rate of population growth in Australia generally, and in our major cities in particular.

    The problems you describe - and the solutions - can be exampled in Sydney. From following two blogs in Brissie, I guess they have similar, though slighter lesser, problems.

    Relocating work-places is another part of the solution. More roads is NOT another part of the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re my great grandmother. Your guess is the same as mine. However, I have no evidence on which to base an opinion. And no mention of it from other family members. But that might be expected.

    I will look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha ha a year or so, try 3 years ago!! I hate the traffic in and around Melbourne. I'm often glad I don't have to commute during peak hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:40 am

    You ain't wrong Andrew. Not so long ago, when I worked an a.m. shift I would leave for my 7am start time at around 6am...6:15 at the latest. Now, If I do not leave home by 5:40am for my 7am start time I would never make it on time to work!
    The roads are not made to cope with all the new residents in our areas. They build all these houses, put up shopping centres and schools and all these estates but leave single lane roads to cope with it. Then, to get to the freeway is a nightmare.
    Then again, I can't understand why so many people want to drive to work when they could train it in. Then, there is the trouble of parking at the station.. there are the same amount of carparks at Werribee and Hoppers crossing stations as there always have been. People are getting booked for parking in certain areas now. They need to makle a larger carparking capacity for people to park their cars to travel to the city.
    Oh well, developers make their money, the council makes their money on the rates of new home owners..and the people who reside there have a harder time getting too and fro.
    I am glad to work nights, I get a park easier, if I drive to work I do not go with the "carpark" on the freeway..and I get to sleep all day..usualy :)
    cazzie

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah Cazzie that is one advantage of working nights! I remember almost 10 years ago Berwick station carpark was at capacity, hate to see what things are like now, I don't think they've made it any bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a plan Jayne. Please draw me a map.

    Julie, it certainly is about population growth and I think it is far too high. It would be the same in Sydney I guess, that many of the pt users are foreign students. If we are to permanently educate a similar number, they need to be taken into account.

    Also, I do remember who I was thinking of now. It was never spoken of but I had a childhood mate and he and his mother looked similar to your grandmother. I only worked it out later. That will be some interesting research for you.

    You are about to join the throng sitting in their cars Fen.

    That's another one Cazzie. Out east is the same, new estates and when the traffic becomes thoroughly congested, ah, maybe we better make some bigger roads. Ideally people should rid bikes, walk or get a bus to the railway station, but that is not going to happen with many. Car parks are essential, but they won't build them yet, coz the trains are full.

    For the reason above Fen, they don't want more people.

    ReplyDelete