Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Playground

Very busy. No time to post. Lucky I have something I prepared earlier for such emergencies.

Don't you know by now to click on the pic to read it? Ah, you still can't read it. I could barely either even the original. It is a plaque at the sand playground at Albert Park Beach. It states that the park was was supported by the country of Nauru. Hey, that place used to be ours, wasn't it? My great uncle lived there. The phosphate mining has stopped on Nauru and the country is impoverished so I guess the gift of a park was in its more wealthy days. Yes, I can read enough to say it was 1976. I figure the park has had a makeover or two since then, probably with my council rates.

5 comments:

  1. The Pepsi Max can probably just about sums it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at all that lovely litter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know why, but all the rubbish had congregated in that corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plaque mentioning Nauru says it was a 1994 redevelopment -- and Wiki says that's when Nauru was experimenting with being a tax haven and illegal money laundering centre. Tell the authorities to stop looking for their missing dosh. I think you've found it ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have good eyes TS. So that would be money laundering via kiddies playgrounds?

    ReplyDelete