Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Mending the Highrise

Finally the tv was repaired. The tech bloke came, unscrewed the back of the tv. Unscrewed the power supply, unplugged the power supply, plugged the new one in, screwed it back into the tv and put the back on. Two minutes flat and I could have done the same except I have lost confidence in my ability to repair things. Such is aging.

You can see from the photo why the balcony door failed to proceed properly. He was a big strong dude and just lifted the extremely heavy door off its tracks, unscrewed these old bearing and screwed in the new stainless steel ones that will see us out, and lifted the door back onto the tracks. He then kindly tightened the inside handle screws and suggested I needed to clean the outside aluminum handle of salt air often as it was corroding. The door now slides beautifully, better than it ever has since we have been here.

My father used to rant against nylon bearings. I agree with him. When I hear that nylon bearings are used for train wheels, maybe I will be convinced that they are viable.

But same thing again, I could have done that. Well, with R's help to lift the door. I am so annoyed with myself that I have lost confidence in my ability to tackle such things. I have pulled carburettors to pieces and reassembled them, installed a heating system in an older car, done electrical work, plumbing work, electronic repairs, cut trees down with a chainsaw, hand renovated with saws and drills etc and now I am impotent and almost happily pay someone to do these repairs. I can now afford to pay for such things, but I wonder why I have lost confidence?

Let me give you an example as to why.

I bought a bolt for the balcony sliding door. We don't want Little Jo going onto the balcony without our supervision. What if she got up in the night and went for a wander and opened the door while we soundly slept on? I have fitted and repaired locks before. Should be no big deal. I opened the package and examined it carefully and worked out how to install it. While I have heaps of old drill bits I bought poisonously expensive new ones to make it all right. I did not rush into it. I try to be careful. If I am doing things with the taps or near a plug hole, I put the plug lest a screw fall down the hole.

I did not intend to install the lock tonight. I was just checking how to do it and get it right. I held the lock up to the door in the correct position. The bolt fell out, dropped onto the balcony and shot over the edge. I should have kept the door closed. Effing idiot. I humiliated myself by knocking on a ground floor apartment to retrieve the bolt. I would have happily paid for another set, but I was lucky. I spied it sitting in their garden. I was very apologetic and suggested this happened often, things falling off balconies and into their garden. No, was the reply. I felt worse. But I do recall an aircon tradie dropping a spanner into the same courtyard.

R said, you shake too much. Can we get a locksmith? Well, that is a nice version of what he said.

13 comments:

  1. "Finally the tv was repaired."

    Bet it hasn't improved the programmes any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we're young we can do anything and are prepared to bend,stretch and strain ourselves physically and mentally, to do even the smallest thing.
    When we mature we realise paying someone else to do these contortions is more sensible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has really Brian. Watching Gryff Reese Jones or whatever his name is showing us English rivers. Marvellous.

    Wise words Jayne. If you have done it yourself when you are young, you know how wrong it can all go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:52 pm

    Thats how modern tv's are repaired. He would have asked you the make/model, know it was a chronic blower up of power supplies, and brought a new one out. How many hundred dollars, or was it still under warranty. (Used to do it for a living)
    The rest? - Jayne is right, it takes longer and longer to figure things out these days...and I know it aint going to get any better, fuckit.

    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had the slightest aptitude nor interest in repairs/installations and the like.

    Whilst my father was alive he would come over and handle these simple matters for me.

    Since he died I have relied on tradesmen to do the deed. I have probably spent thousands of dollars over the odds to have repairs done.

    But I don't let it bother my conscience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael, just under $400. There is plenty on the net about what goes wrong with the power supply with this particular model. I can be repaired for less than $10 if you can solder. 4 months out of warranty. I will write a letter of complaint. I wrote in detail about the matter. http://highriser.blogspot.com/2010/02/machines-breaking-down.html

    Sometimes a tradie is an easier and occasionally cheaper option Victor. But how hard can it be to fix a toilet cistern?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky no one was down there when it fell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the age thing.
    Once upon a time I used to be able to take a bloke apart and put him back together but now I'd just put the parts in a bin bag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite so Ben. Never have a courtyard flat on the ground floor of a highrise.

    I laughed Jahteh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just had my sliding door wheels changed for metal ones - the plastic one collapsed - I don't get salt air here so the metal ones will be fine.

    High rise worries me re kids - and I used to worry about Ali and Andrew in their 9th floor place...he is so tall that his centre of gravity was way higher than the balcony edge allowed for -

    I am one of these people that feels drawn to the edge in a scary way - not a jumper, but some strange force seems to draw me to look down and I feel a pull...

    they've moved now to Armadale in a 2nd floor unit on Ooroong rd - which is lovely and tree lined -so the balcony did not collapse and take them with them...one less worry hey

    ReplyDelete
  11. MC, somehow I reckon we might have paid more to have our wheels changed. City prices. We worry about it too, even teen niece, rule was always two feet on the paving. Orrong Road is very attractive. Good for them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous8:52 pm

    Andrew, you probably paid market rates for the job. I have reversed engineered some of the boards, takes ages, and then ages more to decipher the part coding and try and find them - econmically, it would make no sense - it would be like "Work for the Dole" only paid less per hour...
    And it isnt easy fixing things out of your field - a tradesman is someone who has made all the mistakes BEFORE he gets to your place. I repaired a leaking toilet cistern, took about 3 trips to Bunnings for bits, had to replace the stop cock as well as it had frozen up, a new length of hose to get to the new (different of course) valve.
    Bloody thing still leaks, but somewhere else - will investigate..real soon now....
    And I do tend to make items that I could buy in the shop, It may take me 5 hours to make it, but thats not the point. (Lost it now - not really sure of what the point is...)
    I tell ALL my customers when I install and set up their new monster TV's - "Make sure you take the extended warranty offer, these things cost HUNDREDS of dollars to fix"..
    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michael, I have fixed cisterns in the past. It was quite easy. They must be more complicated now.

    The instructions for repairing the power supply for our tv are on the net. The thingies that go wrong leak and have to be removed and new ones soldered in. There are usually three wronguns and they cost a couple of dollars each. You may well be right though if you take labour cost into account.

    Re extended warranties, I have never believed in them. We are miles in front and when I get some recompense from Samsung, I will be even better off.

    ReplyDelete