Friday, February 12, 2010

Cincinnati by Tram

I have shown you the Leas Lift in England. We have seen the Balmain tram with a counterweight to brake and assist it up the steep hill from Balmain wharf. We have seen how the NSW train used to zig zag to get up the steep Blue Mountains. I think I have a theme happening here, that is getting metal wheeled public transport vehicles up and down steep hills. I have another of these to show you yet.

These are old photos from Cincinnati, Ohio. (Hi Daisy) Cincinnati sounds interesting, with a lot of 19th century Italianate buildings still adorning the streets. There were five of these inclinators, the first opened in 1878 and the last closed in 1948. What a shame one could not have been kept, just for fun.

Shorpy historical photos from the Detroit Publishing Company. Location: Bellevue. You can see the huge original photo here. It is a ripper.


Wagner and Wright. Location: Fairview. This photo shows how the inclinator brings the tram down to be level with the tracks on the road.
Detroit Publishing Company from Northern Kentucky University Historical Atlas of Cincinnati. Location: Mount Adams

10 comments:

  1. How magnificent!
    Sad none was kept, real estate values no doubt saw their demise but I love the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name 'The inclinator'.Wow! What an amazing piece of engineering. You are right, they should have kept one - the tourists would have loved it. It's fascinationg Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that third photograph. It looks like something from the Addams Family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. The first looks Meccano built.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayne, more likely the car that killed them.

    LiD, engineers were always clever. The can solve things if they are paid, otherwise, why should they bother. I am not sure that inclinator is the word used in Ohio, but I have used it and it is apt.

    Brian, Thing pops up from the second building on the left.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does rather RH. That was what attracted me to investigate in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know...I think you may be looking at Cincinati with rose colored Australian glasses.
    My city of Portland, Oregon has an intersting & revived interest in rail transportation with commuter trains, light rail & street cars:
    http://trimet.org/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephen, I guess from this distance we can use our rose coloured glasses. From what I have heard, the revival in street car and light rail in the US is a booming business.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:27 am

    The word we use for these is simply "incline" Price Hill Incline, Mt Adams Incline etc.

    I like Inclinator better. It sounds more 19th century. It is a shame they tore them all down. There are spots though where you can still see the old foundations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the extra info Anon. I guess many residents would not even know they existed.

    ReplyDelete