The food was very plain and very cheap. By plain, I mean plain, not bad. Tasty home style cooking and the closest place I can compare it to is Coles Cafeteria in Bourke Street but with carpet, now David Jones.
The waitresses were all older women and most of the customers were older too. Half a dozen young gay men dining in the restaurant must have made their day a bit interesting.
Anyone remember it?
While I was fruitlessly searching for any information, I came across this list of rules for the Athenaeum Club. I thoroughly approve except for the jacket and tie.
- Business papers are not to be displayed in the public rooms of the Club.
- Business cards are not to be exchanged.
- Mobile phones are prohibited except in the Business Centre.
- Jacket and tie at all times except in designated areas. Casual clothing maybe worn in the lift going to and from accommodation.
- Tipping is not allowed, contributions are accepted for the staff Christmas fund.
- Primarily a gentlemen’s club, ladies are only permitted to use the facilities on the 3rd and 4th floors (accommodation and restaurant) unless attending a function within the Club– gentlemen are allowed to use all facilities.