Friday, January 01, 2010

2000 Revisted.

A couple of people have posted a personal review of the last decade. Pretty hard for me to do so without a lot of work and searching. Fen posted a superb review of her life over the last decade. Isn't she just magic.

A Sydney gay man of a similar age to myself who's blog I read recently mentioned that he did not want his blog to be a review of his life. He wanted to make sure it looked to the present and the future. This troubled me for a second. My blog is often a revisit to things in the past, both personal and non personal. Note, troubled me for a second. I like my blog and I read it often.

Going off course but I also read, as I was about to repost something from my blog that I had written a long time ago, that reposting is the first sign of a dying blog. That did stop me in my tracks.

If you take issue with this being the end of the decade, remember that the Jesus bloke was born in the year 1 and not the year zero. Apparently zero has not been around for more than a few centuries.

Ok, I will just revisit 2000, the end of the last decade, and what I was doing. Don't worry, it will be short because I can't recall much.

My father died in 1999 and the funeral was early in January 2000. It was a long and lingering home death. I only recently learnt that my step mother called my sister in law in distress because she was not coping with a home death. My step mother is a very strong woman mentally. Therefore, before you demand that you be allowed to die at home, think about the effect on your loved one. Leave it to the professionals.

R also bought a new car in January 2000, the car I am now mostly driving. It had been an excellent car until I took possession of it at he beginning of this year and the head gasket and an electric window cable failed.

Absolutely no idea what we did NYE. R can't recall either. I am guessing a bar, maybe the Peel or Greyhound.

Ex NT politician and his Fijian Indian b/f were in Fiji and saw in 2000 very early. They, among others, gathered at a high point to watch the sun rise, the dawn of the new millenium.

R laid the law down that my licentious behaviour had to stop. I promised and I tried and pretty well succeeded. I view the preceding time dispassionately. Your children and animals were safe and possibly your mother.

Of course, because R bought a new car, I took on his old one. So modern, with airconditioning and a heater that did not fill the car with engine fumes when stationary, unlike the Humber Super Snipe. I sold it to some sucker for $800. He was a Jewish lad walking on the wild side and living in North Melbourne. The parking fines that subsequently arrived were forwarded on to his home address. He was ever so nice looking and what a voice.

I think 2000 was the year I started using spectacles to read. I could not believe how almost overnight my reading sight went.

I cannot recall anything else of my family......well, nothing else really. Bit of a non post.

9 comments:

  1. If you don't look back you cannot learn and grow. Don't worry, I had trouble remembering 2000 too, far too long ago for this brain of mine!

    You're spot on regarding home deaths, it's a very difficult thing for anyone to go through and you never know what may happen. If you can get someone into a palliative unit then you can take some of the pressure off.

    It's been lovely reading your blog, I hope your posts continue to be informative, witty and interesting this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If you take issue with this being the end of the decade, remember that the Jesus bloke was born in the year 1 and not the year zero."

    Actually he was born in the year 4 A.D. because some burk in the calender business buggered the dates up. He also wasn't born on both New Year's Day and Christmas Day...unless he was born twice, of course...a born-again Christian?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your children and animals were safe and possibly your mother.
    Damn, there goes your wild 'n' wicked rep, Andrew :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Fen. Mutual.

    Brian, only four years out. Looking back, insignificant.

    Indeed Jayne, one way or t'other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrew, I didn't really mean I didn't want it to be a review of my life, as it pretty clearly is. My point was about avoiding the tendancy to look backwards, to be overly nostalgic, without also looking forward. James

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get your point James. I did not think what I said would be so recognisable to you, otherwise I would have tried to get the context a little closer to what you meant instead of picking it up and running with it. But what struck me is that I have a lot of past to write about and probably much less future. I have no problem with this. I guess am very inclined to history.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "buggered the dates"

    mmmm, you might like to rephrase that Broyan?

    Thought not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OTOH, I think 2009 was the year I started using spectacles to read. I could not believe how almost overnight my reading sight went.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure it was an innocent phrase Sedgwick. Clearly your body preserving methods are working then, up to a point.

    ReplyDelete