Friday, December 18, 2009

Hail that bus

I don't know the rights or wrongs of the twenty four hour strike by Sydney state employed bus drivers. What I do know is that they are on strike and that I knew they were going to be on strike since early in the week.

I have no particular interest in Sydney buses. But little me, down here in Melbourne, knew about the strike, yet so many commuters were to be found waiting at bus stops on the streets of Sydney for buses that were never going to come.

To me, not watching tv news, not listening to radio news, not reading newspapers, not reading online media is just weird.

Just proves how different we all are.

12 comments:

  1. Different horses for different courses - I completely agree with you - yet OH just doesn't care if he listens to the news or not!
    Me, my life revolves around news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew about it before it happened too, and I live in New York, though I check in on smh.com.au every day, at least once

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still waiting for our tram conductors to finish their strike.
    Been awhile now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get pleasure from it IAS. How much I retain is another matter.

    Ian, one of your old roots was probably standing waiting for a bus. You should have let him know.

    Up the workers Jayne. They will stay on strike until Kennett reinstates them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One phrase comes to mind..my Pop used to say it when he would see a person trying to hail a cab, or hail a bus, or hail a hitch hike... "Buy a bike!" Haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had forgotten that Cazzie. I remember 'Get a bike'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the I-pod generation. All that thumping of music in the ears and not a line of news to be heard or read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Victor, I guess they will grow out of it, if they don't get mown down by a bus first.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Standing round waiting for non-existent buses might be a good place to get a new root or two?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there. Can I give you a lift?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am VERY up to date with the news...Australian that is.

    I have no idea what's going on in Texas.

    We do have a lot of road construction going on. I don't need to the news to figure that out though. I see it with my own eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes Dina. I am sure you knew about the bus drivers striking.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.