Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Crying into Mortar

Long before Panning Minister Justin Madden rampaged around our city knocking down fine old historic buildings, he had many predecessors equally up to the task of obliterating our history.

I have mentioned a book given to me by a friend and I have been sadly going through it. I know that a good many of the Melbourne buildings featured in the book have gone and they should not be gone. They were attractive, well built and well designed buildings and ok, their use may have changed in the future but why can that not be?

The book is mostly reproduced photos and called Early Melbourne Architecture, eighteen forty to eighteen eighty-eight. It was published in 1953 by Oxford University Press.

Just an aside, as the sun was setting on the British Empire, OUP still had offices in Glasgow, New York, Toronto, Melbourne, Wellington, Bombay, Calcutta, Madras and Cape Town.

I'll just sneak this photo in from the book. Its address WAS 64 Latrobe Street. Beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. *sob*
    I've posted the list of books to break your heart, I'll keep my eyes open for that one, sounds like another good 'un.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the panning for gold minister?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Fen, it means he hasn't panned out well.
    and deserves a panning.
    Pity we cannot stick the head of whoever demolished that place ... down the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't pay much for it Jayne, but it was interesting. On your list, Whelan the Wrecker...sigh, so long to my birthday.

    I deliberately cannot possibly understand what you are saying Fen. So Jussy likes trolling around Bendigo and Ballarat. Ok, interesting.

    EmStacks, the photo did not scan well. It was truly a gorgeous little house. The list of places in the book now missing is quite long.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.