Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Bad Victor

Damn you Victor for mentioning Cabaret today. As I suspected it would, the music from the show has gone around in my head all day, and now I am writing about, it probably will tomorrow too. Sad but true, I know the words from many of the songs in the film Cabaret.

I used to have girlfriend known as Elsie,
With whom I shared two sordid rooms in Chelsea.

She wasn't what you call a blushing flower,
As matter of fact she rented by the hour.

But when she died the neighbours came to snicker,

(Liza Minelli at her concerts when in Australia recently, inserted a pause before the next line. Of course a good percentage of her audience were gay and the rest probably gay friendly and of course gays always abuse drugs and alcohol, so I can only imagine how that would have brought the house down. Liza does have a history of prescription drug and alcohol abuse)

So that's what comes from too much pills and liquor.

But when I saw her laid out like a queen,
She was the happiest corpse I'd ever seen.

I am a gay male, so I am obliged to like Cabaret, but regardless, I think I would like it if I was str8. Go on, you know the tune. Have a sing song. You will feel better for it. Dance and fling your arms about if you must.

6 comments:

  1. It's a great song, as indeed are most of them from that show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travelling round France a couple of years ago, I noticed many hotels have friendly trilingual signs out front: "Willkommen! Bienvenue! Welcome!".
    Everyday, I was stuck with the song in my head:
    "Willkommen! Bienvenue! Welcome!
    Fremder, Etranger, Stranger,
    Glücklich zu sehen,
    Je suis enchanté,
    Happy to see you,
    Bleibe, reste, stay."

    ReplyDelete
  3. We studied Cabaret in year 7 music (VERY progressive for a strict Catholic gals school!) and each of us has loved it ever since :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victor, I don't know of a dud song in the movie. Just wonderful.

    Haha Altissima. I guess I have seen signs like that but never connected them to Cabaret, but I am going now methinks.

    Wow Jayne....that movie has 'content'. Very progressive at a pretty young age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will never make a good faghag Fenz.

    ReplyDelete