Friday, November 27, 2009

Tramming it

Tramming is good. I did a good bit today. Four lasses boarded one tram to check the operation of Myki scanners. They marked the check sheet. Fail, fail and fail. I am just guessing really. One scanner worked after a 3 second scan. The other did not until the third try.

I have seen these scanners work in Singapore and London. They take about 1/3 of a second. People scan without stopping in their stride.

I was waiting for an air con tram to get home. A Z1 class pulled up followed by Z3 class. Neither had air con. The Z3 had smoke coming out from between its wheels.

I picked up my fifty bags of shopping and bolted to the front tram. I am not getting on a tram about to explode into flames, or get stuck behind the smoking tram, no matter how cool a subsequent air con tram may be.

I watched out the back window of the tram I was on to see if the tram behind burst into flames. It did not and when I got off the tram I was on, the smoking tram was behind with no sign of smoke. Weird.

While not long ago I had a decent whinge about rough tram drivers, but of the seven or so trams I caught today, I noticed nothing about the tram ride, so it follows that all drivers were good.

4 comments:

  1. I was driving home from work and witnessed the stupuids in the car in front of me doing a U turn in front of a tram... I swear, yes, I did swear... it drives me insane..I wish I was a copper just for that split second.. the same happened yesterday in Footscray whilst I was driving into work.. incredulous!
    Glad you had good drivers.. I did not have trouble when I used to tram it to the Alfred Moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...not long ago I had a decent whinge about rough tram drivers..."

    I'm saying nothing. Not a dicky bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a train driver the other day who obviously had a bet on to see how many passengers he could fling from seats, but we grimly held on and defeated him. Hope he paid up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timelines Cazzie. Were they old W trams you caught to the Alfred or old modern Z trams?

    Brian, I have heard of a naughty tram passenger without a ticket and his punishment by the conductor.

    Interesting Jayne. I don't catch many trains. Normally they all seem to be driven the same. But then there was that time when I was in a packed train and it lurched over points your side of Caulfield and and a handsome young Indian student held me up. Steadied me for longer than was really required. Such nice eyes, such nice eyelashes. Stop right here.

    ReplyDelete