Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tales from the paint pot

Full day painting today. I am FKN'd (will this catch on?) . No disasters yet.

Painting tales from the past.

1960s. R's father came home from the pub with a couple of gallons of cheap paint. The next day they painted a room out. The day after, they were waiting for the paint to dry. Four days later, they were waiting for the paint to dry. A week later they were waiting for the paint to finally dry.

1970s, early. My grandfather painted the outside of our farmhouse. He tinted the paint himself. It started at the front as a nice shade of pale lilac. By the time he reached the rear of the house, it was a violent purple.

1970s, late. I helped my father paint one of his 'spec' houses. At day's end I sealed the paint tin by stamping on the lid with my foot. Next morning Father was somewhat annoyed at Mission Brown being spattered over Almond Beige walls.

1980s, early. I stepped off a ladder into an almost full paint can. Of course the tin tipped over. Scraping paint out of carpet is time consuming and depressing. Fortunately where it tipped was under where a chest of drawers sat. Whoever bought the place from us, surprise!!!

1980s, mid. While it worked in the dining room of a posh Toorak house I had visited, Olive Green did not work in our dining room. Five coats of white paint later.

1980s, late. The dog stepped into the paint tray. I shrieked, TOBY. Toby ran away and left a trail of footprints over the carpet, the floor tiles and the brick paving.

1990s. I did not paint myself into a corner when I was painting the corrugated iron roof, but I did go down a steep slope to a point where I could not get up again. Closest I have ever been to panic. I ever so slowly bellied my way back up.

I am sure I missed one.

10 comments:

  1. oh poor Toby - I hope he didn't lick his paws. Dogs should be kept away from painters.

    The bargain price of that non-dry 60's paint was not the fault, as my parents had a wet 60's kitchen for a week and the paint company came to our house to look at it. It was called Burmese Gold, and it's non-dry property was a punishment from The Style God for choosing such a vile colour. I can't recall the brand name or the solution though.

    You painted a roof and survived !!!
    Good thing you didnt take the dog up there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a dog named Toby too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've stepped off a ladder into a can of paint as well. maybe that was the beginning of the end of my marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredibly my painting adventure's have been for the most part, drama free.

    Painting the floor at work is always interesting - particularly with halfwits who don't know to paint towards a door, not away from it or those who can't tell the difference between the clearly lighter wet paint and the darker dried paint, leaving the pitter-patter of size ten boots in their wake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Painted rental apartments- Sydney 3, Melbourne 2, next one I hope I'll be the owner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splitter-splatter, painting is such fun!
    OH!
    Reminds me I need a new tin to touch up the odd scratch or 3 in the kitchen, ta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps the best is yet to come...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:39 pm

    Oh I remember Toby. He was such a sweetie! Bet you didn't think that after pawprints on the carpet, though!

    What was the cat's name again? Vik.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ms, wasn't Burmese Gold the colour of Melbourne's first 70s Z trams?

    Dina, along with half the English speaking world :)

    Loz, I am sure you did the honourable thing and cleaned up. Nice thumbnail pic btw.

    Not the brightest then Mutant?

    Ian, so why did none of our tenants ask, if you supply the paint, we will paint your flat.

    Bit of spatter Jayne, but not bad.

    Bugger orf to England Scott.

    Vik, other dog was Jessie and the two cats were Thomas and Tuffy. Thomas was the lovely black and white that drooled when he was given affection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the laughs - Loved the story about the paint that didn't dry - maybe thats why it was so cheap hey.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.