Monday, August 24, 2009

Actively saving Lonsdale House

We protested publicly. We gathered outside Lonsdale House and after milling about for a while, a short speech and signing of petitions, we marched on Town Hall. Sadly there were not enough of us to block Lonsdale Street, but I suppose there were about 150 protestors there.

It isn't too late to sign the online petition, 1800 signatures (2,500 on hard copy) send emails or join the Facebook group with its 1500 members. All can be found at savelonsdalehouse.com

Look, here we are on the ABC news. I can be briefly glimpsed and a nice view of my and R's backs. I was unseen but standing next to Liana Thompson as she spoke to camera. Just remembered. I think she used to be mayor of City of Port Phillip.

4 comments:

  1. It's an interesting building. I can't picture where it is (two heads = half the visual memory capacity), but it would be a shame to see it go. Deco (when done well, like here) is an important and valuable style, unfortunately it seems to have much lower currency heritage-wise than pre-1920s stuff.

    It actually reminds me a lot of Holyman House in Launceston.

    Good luck with your campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why it reminds you. Just checked google photos and Holyman House is stunning. Will have a better look tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now Asio will have a file on you....we need more protestors - its what don and I were best at and it takes a lot of organising to get people out 150 is a respectable amount.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wouldn't surprise me if they have MC.

    ReplyDelete

Whenever I wish I was young again, I am sobered by memories of algebra.